EMERGENCY: Alberta has declared a Public Health Emergency to protect the health care system from COVID-19. Indoor social gatherings are the top source of transmission. All indoor social gatherings have now been banned. This ban will be enforced with $1,000 fines. Learn more
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2020 IDPD event grants.
The United Nations recognizes December 3 as the International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPD). The Premier’s Council on the Status of Persons with Disabilities provides grants to help community groups hold IDPD events that:
- raise awareness about the importance and value of respecting differences, accepting and including persons with disabilities
- align with the guiding principle of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
You can apply for funds to hold IDPD events that:
- raise awareness and demonstrate the importance of including persons with disabilities in the broader community
- are inclusive and open to all
- are organized and hosted by community groups and agencies working collaboratively as a committee
- held on or around December 3
Grants may cover expenses for barrier-free access, such as:
- sign language interpreters
- real-time captioning
- equipment rental to accommodate specific disability needs
- hall rentals
Your committee can apply for a grant of up to $1,500.
How to apply
We are now accepting applications for the IDPD event grants. Deadline to apply is October 1, 2020.
Step 1. Complete the application form
- If you need a nomination form in an alternate format, please contact the Council office.
- It is important the application and supporting documents do not exceed 6 pages.
- Any missing information may result in the application not being accepted.
- Complete the application form (PDF, 399 KB).
Step 2. Submit application
If you are unable to email or if you require further information, contact the Council office:
After you apply
- Your committee will get a letter and grant funding agreement if your application is successful.
- Read the agreement to learn how the grant funding will reimburse your expenses.
- Complete, sign and return the agreement to the Premier’s Council Secretariat to confirm your committee will organize and host the event.
- Make sure to recognize the Premier’s Council as a sponsor in your communication and promotional materials.
To contact the Premier’s Council Secretariat:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: dial 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]
Suite 1110, 10055 106 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2Y2
You can also connect with us on Twitter.