COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
At a certain age, Alberta Vital Statistics’ records become historical records and anyone may get them from the Provincial Archives of Alberta.
Alberta historical records are:
- birth records that are 120 years old or older (from the date of birth)
- birth records for a person who has been deceased for 50 years or more
- marriage records that are 75 years old or older (from the date of marriage)
- death records that are 50 years old or older (from the date of death)
- stillbirth records that are 75 years old or older (from the date of stillbirth)
If you are looking for a Vital Statistics certificate, regardless of the record's age,
- see topics under the Life events section for certificate application forms and ordering instructions
- contact a registry agent or Registry Connect, depending on your location
- you must be eligible to apply
Get historical Vital Statistics records
Contact the Provincial Archives of Alberta if you are looking for a photocopy of a historical record.
Non-historical Vital Statistics records
Contact a registry agent or Registry Connect, depending on your location, if you are looking for a record that is not yet historic.
Alberta Vital Statistics records are not historical when the:
- birth record is less than 120 years old
- birth record is less than 120 years old and the person has not been deceased for 50 years
- marriage record is less than 75 years old
- death record is less than 50 years old
- stillbirth record is less than 75 years old
You must be eligible to apply.
For certificate application forms and ordering instructions, see topics under the Life events section.
Connect with the Service Alberta Contact Centre:
Email: [email protected]
P.O. Box 2023
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
John E. Brownlee Building
10365 97 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.