In light of the outbreak of COVID 19, and the need to limit potential exposure to our guests, tours at Government House are suspended until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience and we look forward to welcoming you back to Government House as soon as possible.
For more information, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.
How to get here
Address12845 102 Avenue NWEdmonton, Alberta T5N 0M6Geo: 53.541609, -113.543865
- The Edmonton Transit System's Route 1 has accessible buses that run east and west along 102 Avenue, from downtown Edmonton
- buses stop at Connaught Drive and 102 Avenue, a block northeast of Government House
- more bus information is available from the Edmonton Transit System
Free vehicle parking is available in the lot next to Government House.
Admission to Government House is free.
Amenities and services
- wheelchair accessible
- heritage guides
Tours and events
Join us for a Government House free guided tour or a special event:
- Government House will be open for free tours on Sundays and holiday Mondays starting on February 16, 2020 until November 29, 2020
- no tours on Canada Day, July 1 (visit the Alberta Legislature for activities)
- no appointments are necessary
- tours generally begin on the hour and the half hour and last 30 to 45 minutes
Visitors can view Government House’s historic architectural details, original artifacts and furnishings dating from its time as a vice-regal residence (1913 to 1938), and an extensive art collection showcasing historic and contemporary Canadian artists.
The main floor was restored to resemble its original décor as closely as possible, with a large combination reception and dining area, a music room and a library.
The second floor’s central reception area is surrounded by 6 small conference rooms, each named after one of the Lieutenant Governors who lived here, and a small study.
The outstanding Alberta Room, on the third floor, was the result of extensive renovations in 1976 that made Government House a site for government meetings, conferences and state occasions.
Outside on the grounds, enjoy a stroll through the award-winning gardens or a view of the original carriage house.