The Farmers’ Advocate Office (FAO) only provides general information on freehold mineral rights in Alberta, limited to what is contained in our publications:

We do not provide recommendations on compensation or valuation amounts.

For more information, see:

The FAO highly recommends getting legal advice from a knowledgeable and experienced lawyer for any freehold mineral negotiations or issues that arise. The Law Society of Alberta can assist with finding legal counsel based on certain areas of practice.

If you are seeking more information on freehold minerals and compensation or valuation amounts, contact the Freehold Owners Association (FHOA) at 403-245-4438 or [email protected]. The FHOA is a non-profit association representing freehold mineral owners in western Canada. For a nominal membership fee, you can gain access to more information, attend seminars and the annual general meeting, and access other services provided by FHOA. The FHOA is continuously compiling freehold lease information on an interactive map that is available to members.

Oil pumps in a field

FAO advisories

Stay informed with advisories from the Farmers’ Advocate Office.

Learn more


Connect with the FAO:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-FARM (3276) (in Alberta)
Phone: 403-742-7901 (outside Alberta)
Email: [email protected] or Ask us a question online

View all FAO contact information

Mailing address:
J.G. O'Donoghue Building
7000 113 Street
Edmonton, Alberta  T6H 5T6

FAO on Facebook

FAO on Twitter

Sign up for updates

Keep informed of FAO news and activities.

Join our email list