Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
Forest management planning is essential to sustainable forest management and responsible stewardship in Alberta. Under the authority of the Forests Act, Alberta has developed strict standards for forest management planning. Each type of forest management planning document has specific standards and guidelines.
Forest Management Planning Standard
The Alberta Forest Management Planning Standard (the Standard) and its annexes, interpretive bulletins and updates comprise the standard for preparing and implementing Forest Management Plans (FMP) in Alberta. These standards ensure consistent, thorough plan submissions.
Operating ground rules
The following documents provide direction for developing timber harvest plans and operating ground rules. These rules affect forest management operations throughout the province. These documents will be under regular review by the Forestry Division.
- TM 118 – Annual Operating Plan Standard Form (PDF, 186 KB) November 2017
Provincial Operating Ground Rules
- Blue Ridge Lumber Inc. Forest Management Plan/Agreement Area Specific Addendum
- Canadian Forest Products Ltd. Forest Management Plan/Agreement Area Specific Addendum
- Canfor–Whitecourt Forest Management Plan/Agreement Area-Specific Addendum
- Edson Forest Products (West Fraser) Forest Management Plan/Agreement Area-Specific Addendum
- Forest Management Unit (FMU) E08 Area-Specific Addendum
- Hinton Wood Products Forest Management Plan/Agreement Area-Specific Addendum
- Lesser Slave Lake Regional Forest Management Plan Specific Addendum: S16, S17, S19, S20, S21 and S24
- Manning Forest Products Forest Management Plan/Agreement Area-Specific Addendum
- Mercer Peace River Pulp, Ltd. and Canadian Forest Products, Ltd. Only
- Northeast Alberta Regional Area-Specific Addendum
- Quota Holders Other Than Canadian Forest Products, Ltd.
- Sundre Forest Products Ltd. Forest Management Plan/Agreement Area-Specific Addendum
- Upper Hay Regional Area-Specific Addendum
- Weyerhaeuser Company-Grande Prairie Forest Management Plan/Agreement Area-Specific Addendum
- Weyerhaeuser Company-Pembina Forest Management Plan/Agreement Area-Specific Addendum
Reforestation Standard of Alberta (RSA)
- Reforestation Standard of Alberta May 2022
- RSA Establishment Field Sheets (XLS, 66 KB) May 2017
- RSA Establishment Field Sheets UP (XLS, 67 KB) May 2018
- RSA Performance MAI Field Sheets (Aerial Non Photo) (XLS, 83 KB) May 2018
- RSA Performance MAI (Validation Form) (XLSX, 27 KB) May 2022
- RSA Performance Strat Audit Forms (XLSX, 49 KB) May 2017
- RSA Performance Field Sheets (Aerial Non Photo Audit) (XLSX, 18 KB) May 2017
- RSA Performance Field Sheets and Validation Form UP (XLS, 181 KB) May 2022
- RSA PS Field Audit Summary Tables Example (XLSX, 24 KB) May 2020
RSA Sample Selection Tool
- Sample Selection Tool (XLS, 2.1 MB) March 2021
- RSA Sample Selection Tool User's Manual(PDF, 584 KB) May 2018
- RSA Sample Selection Tool Licence Agreement (PDF, 74 KB) May 2018
- RSA Compiler (ZIP, 4.2 MB) November 2022
- RSA Compiler User Manual (PDF, 2.8 MB) November 2018
- RSA Compiler Licence Agreement (PDF, 73 KB) November 2018
RSA Landbase Designation Code and Mean Annual Increment (MAI) Standards
- Landbase Designation Code and Mean Annual Increment Standards Database (DOC, 2.0 MB) May 2015
- Mean Annual Increment Standards for Crown Forest Management Units January 2014
- Provincial Utilization Standard Conversion Report and Tool (ZIP, 5.0 MB)
- Forest Management Herbicide Reference Manual February 2004
The Alberta Forest Genetic Resource Management and Conservation Standards (FGRMS) are presented in 2 separate documents. The first, entitled 'Alberta Forest Genetic Resource Management and Conservation Standards Volume 1: Stream 1 and Stream 2' contains all standards. The second, entitled 'Alberta Forest Genetic Resource Management and Conservation Standards Volume 1A: Stream 1' contains only those standards that apply to Stream 1 material.
- Alberta Forest Genetic Resource Management and Conservation Standards Manual Volume 1 Stream 1 and Stream 2 December 2016
- Alberta Forest Genetic Resource Management and Conservation Standards Manual Volume 1A Stream 1 December 2016
- Alberta Forest Genetic Resource Management and Conservation Standards Manual (Stakeholder feedback) December 2016
- Approved Commercial Seed Processing and Testing Facilities (PDF, 120 KB) November 2018
- Seed Testing Standards Manual December 2016
- Seed Zones of Alberta Map December 2016
Procedures and examples
- Best Practices Field Procedures for Tree Measurements in Genetic Field Trails December 2016
- Example of Annual Operations Orchard Report – Appendix 35A (PDF, 559 KB) March 2011
- Example of Genetic Test Analysis Report – Appendix 28 (PDF, 290 KB) March 2011
- Example Controlled Parentage Program (CPP) Plan (PDF, 771 KB) August 2008
- Lodgepole Pine Superior Tree Selection Project November 2008
- White Spruce Superior Tree Selection Project 2007
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.