Forest Management Planning Standard
The Alberta Forest Management Planning Standard (the Standard) and its annexes, interpretive bulletins and updates comprise the standard for preparing and implementing Forest Management Plans (FMP) in Alberta. These standards ensure consistent, thorough plan submissions.
- Alberta Forest Management Planning Standard – Version 4.1 April 2006
- Directive AF-FDP-2021-03 Impacts of Wildfire-Burned Areas on Annual Allowable Cuts (October 26, 2021)
- Interpretive Bulletins
Operating ground rules
The following documents provide direction for developing timber harvest plans and operating ground rules. These rules affect forest management operations throughout the province. These documents will be under regular review by the Forest Management Branch, Alberta Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Economic Development.
Provincial Operating Ground Rules
- Alberta timber harvest planning and operating ground rules (2022)
- TM 118 – Annual Operating Plan Standard Form (PDF, 186 KB) November 2017
Reforestation Standard of Alberta (RSA)
- Reforestation Standard of Alberta May 2022
- RSA Establishment Field Sheets (XLS, 66 KB) May 2017
- RSA Establishment Field Sheets UP (XLS, 67 KB) May 2018
- RSA Performance MAI Field Sheets (Aerial Non Photo) (XLS, 83 KB) May 2018
- RSA Performance MAI (Validation Form) (XLSX, 27 KB) May 2022
- RSA Performance Strat Audit Forms (XLSX, 49 KB) May 2017
- RSA Performance Field Sheets (Aerial Non Photo Audit) (XLSX, 18 KB) May 2017
- RSA Performance Field Sheets and Validation Form UP (XLS, 181 KB) May 2022
- RSA PS Field Audit Summary Tables Example (XLSX, 24 KB) May 2020
RSA Sample Selection Tool
- Sample Selection Tool (XLS, 2.1 MB) March 2021
- RSA Sample Selection Tool User's Manual(PDF, 584 KB) May 2018
- RSA Sample Selection Tool Licence Agreement (PDF, 74 KB) May 2018
- RSA Compiler (ZIP, 4.2 MB) May 2020
- RSA Compiler User Manual (PDF, 2.8 MB) November 2018
- RSA Compiler Licence Agreement (PDF, 73 KB) November 2018
RSA Landbase Designation Code and Mean Annual Increment (MAI) Standards
- Landbase Designation Code and Mean Annual Increment Standards Database (DOC, 2 MB) May 2015
- Mean Annual Increment Standards for Crown Forest Management Units January 2014
- Provincial Utilization Standard Conversion Report and Tool (ZIP, 5 MB)
- Forest Management Herbicide Reference Manual February 2004
The Alberta Forest Genetic Resource Management and Conservation Standards (FGRMS) are presented in 2 separate documents. The first, entitled 'Alberta Forest Genetic Resource Management and Conservation Standards Volume 1: Stream 1 and Stream 2' contains all standards. The second, entitled 'Alberta Forest Genetic Resource Management and Conservation Standards Volume 1A: Stream 1' contains only those standards that apply to Stream 1 material.
- Alberta Forest Genetic Resource Management and Conservation Standards Manual Volume 1 Stream 1 and Stream 2 December 2016
- Alberta Forest Genetic Resource Management and Conservation Standards Manual Volume 1A Stream 1 December 2016
- Alberta Forest Genetic Resource Management and Conservation Standards Manual (Stakeholder feedback) December 2016
- Approved Commercial Seed Processing and Testing Facilities (PDF, 120 KB) November 2018
- Seed Testing Standards Manual December 2016
- Seed Zones of Alberta Map December 2016
Procedures and examples
- Best Practices Field Procedures for Tree Measurements in Genetic Field Trails December 2016
- Example of Annual Operations Orchard Report – Appendix 35A (PDF, 559 KB) March 2011
- Example of Genetic Test Analysis Report – Appendix 28 (PDF, 290 KB) March 2011
- Example Controlled Parentage Program (CPP) Plan (PDF, 771 KB) August 2008
- Lodgepole Pine Superior Tree Selection Project November 2008
- White Spruce Superior Tree Selection Project 2007
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.