Table of contents

24-hour help

Call 911 if you or someone you know is in immediate danger.

Call the Family Violence Info Line at 310-1818 if you have experienced family violence. Get help anonymously in more than 170 languages or find other family violence supports.

Escape family violence

There are 3 types of accommodation you can access when leaving family violence or domestic violence:

  • women’s emergency shelters – a  safe location where women and children can get help and connect with supports
  • women’s second stage housing – short-term, affordable housing with help for women and children to permanently leave and start a new life
  • seniors’ emergency shelters – a temporary place for older adults to stay and get supports

If you need a place for pets to stay when leaving an abusive situation, there are pet safekeeping programs that offer temporary pet care at no charge. Find the nearest program through the Alberta Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA).

For homelessness

There are 3 types accommodation you can access if you or your family are experiencing homelessness:

  • homeless shelters – a place to stay when you do not have a permanent address
  • short-term supportive housing – temporary place to live with supports to help you move to permanent housing and live on your own
  • long-term supportive housing – a facility that provides unlimited stay and supports 24/7

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.