COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
- Employment Standards has publications available for download.
- All publications are free of charge.
Tool kit for employers
In-depth resource for employers on minimum standards for employment in Alberta, including the rules effective November 1, 2020. Includes examples and detailed information on how employment standards apply to employers.
Each employment standards topic is covered in a separate module.To find which module addresses a particular topic, see the quick reference guide.
- Overview (Module 1)
- Payment of earnings (Module 2)
- Hours of work and rest (Module 3)
- Overtime hours and overtime pay (Module 4)
- Averaging arrangements (Module 5)
- General holidays (Module 6)
- Vacations and vacation pay (Module 7)
- Job-protected leaves (Module 8)
- Termination of employment (Module 9)
- Youth employment (Module 10)
- Complaint resolution (Module 11)
Samples of employment records are available to guide employers in creating compliant employment records.
- Pay statement
- Deduction form
- Group averaging arrangement
- Individual averaging arrangement
- Group overtime banking agreement
- Individual overtime banking agreement
- Warning letter
- Termination letter
- Temporary layoff notice (unrelated to COVID-19)
- Temporary layoff notice (related to COVID-19)
- Youth employment parental consent form
Learn more about frequently asked employment standards questions.
- Employee or contractor? Know the difference
- Manager/supervisor questionnaire
- Alberta general holiday calendar
- Common employment standards exceptions
- Quick reference guide
Learn the basics of the minimum standards for employment in Alberta, including new rules effective November 1, 2020.
- Employment standards guide for employees
- Employment standards guide for retail
- Employment standards guide for hospitality
- Employment standards guide for construction
- Employment standards guide for farms and ranches
- Employment standards guide for youth
- Employment standards guide for family caregivers
- Employment standards guide for COVID-19
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.