Services and information
Lists and information about what to include in your emergency kit to sustain you and your family for 72 hours.
Learn how to make an emergency plan to care for yourself and your family during a disaster.
Tools and resources to help you raise awareness on how to be better prepared for disasters and emergencies.
Disasters can happen with little or no warning. If a disaster happened tomorrow, how long could you and your family survive without assistance?
During a disaster it may take emergency workers sometime to reach you. You should be prepared to take care of yourself and your family for at least 72 hours.
In an emergency you should:
- follow your emergency plan
- use your emergency kit
- make sure you are safe before assisting others
- monitor alerts from Alberta Emergency Alert
- listen to radio and TV for more information from local authorities
- listen to instructions from authorities – you might be advised to evacuate or stay where you are
Hazards and emergencies
In Alberta we can face a number of different emergencies at any time with little warning such as:
- serve weather – blizzards, tornadoes and wildfires
- industrial accidents – chemical spills
- technological events – power outages
- biological events – influenza outbreak
- intentional acts
Knowing the risks and hazards is important to help you and your family prepare for the unexpected.
- Armed Intruder (PDF, 140 KB)
- Avalanches (PDF, 115 KB)
- Chemical Releases (PDF, 102 KB)
- Earthquakes (PDF, 135 KB)
- Floods (PDF, 142 KB)
- Outbreak management
- Landslides (PDF, 132 KB)
- Power Outages (PDF, 134 KB)
- Severe Storms (PDF, 153 KB)
- Wildfires (PDF, 146 KB)
- Before an Emergency (PDF, 115 KB)
- During an Emergency (PDF, 116 KB)
- After an Emergency (PDF, 130 KB)
- Shelter-in-place (PDF, 114 KB)
- Evacuation (PDF, 116 KB)
For more information about emergency preparedness visit:
- Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction
- Alberta Wildfire
- Environment Canada
- Avalanche Canada
- Earthquakes Canada
- Public Safety Canada
To connect with the Alberta Emergency Management Agency:
Alberta Emergency Management Agency
14515 122 Ave NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5L 2W4