Alberta offers universally accessible education.
As of September 1st of each school year, every child who meets the following criteria is allowed access to education:
- six years of age or older and younger than 19 years of age
- one of the following:
- a Canadian citizen
- has been admitted to Canada for permanent residence
- has a parent who is a Canadian citizen
- has a parent who has been admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence
Public and separate schools
Alberta has one publicly funded education system that includes public schools and separate schools.
Public and separate schools, which are operated by locally elected officials and overseen by the Government of Alberta, teach the Alberta curriculum to eligible students. Public and separate schools may choose optional programs as needed to meet the unique needs of their students and communities.
Establishing a separate school district
The religious minority, either Protestant or Roman Catholic, has the right to establish a separate school district. This right is enshrined in the Constitution Act, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Alberta Act and Alberta’s Education Act.
The Separate School Establishment Manual is a guide for separate school electors. It details the process they must follow when they choose to pursue the establishment of a separate school district.
All forms must be filled out entirely and accurately to validate the establishment process.
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
- Form C-1 - Survey of residents to determine the composition of Separate School Electors (PDF, 285 KB)
- Form C-2 - Survey of residents to determine the composition of Separate School Electors (PDF, 276 KB)
- Form 1 - Notice of Intent to Establish a Separate School District (PDF, 65 KB)
- Form 2 - Separate School Establishment Area (PDF, 59 KB)
- Form 3 - Separate School Establishment Petition (PDF, 62 KB)
- Form 4 - Establishment of a Separate School District Notice of Community Information Meeting (PDF, 60 KB)
- Form 5 - Notice of Community Information Meeting (PDF, 59 KB)
- Form 6 - Establishment of a Separate School District Notice of Vote (PDF, 81 KB)
- Form 7 - Notice of the Vote for the Establishment of a Separate School District (PDF, 59 KB)
- Form 8 - Establishment of a Separate School District Community Information Meeting Record and Minutes (PDF, 64 KB)
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.