EMERGENCY: Alberta has declared a Public Health Emergency to protect the health care system from COVID-19. Indoor social gatherings are the top source of transmission. All indoor social gatherings have now been banned. This ban will be enforced with $1,000 fines. Learn more
Alberta offers universally accessible education.
As of September 1st of each school year, every child who meets the following criteria is allowed access to education:
- six years of age or older and younger than 19 years of age
- one of the following:
- a Canadian citizen
- has been admitted to Canada for permanent residence
- has a parent who is a Canadian citizen
- has a parent who has been admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence
Public and separate schools
Alberta has one publicly funded education system that includes public schools and separate schools.
Public and separate schools, which are operated by locally elected officials and overseen by the Government of Alberta, teach the Alberta curriculum to eligible students. Public and separate schools may choose optional programs as needed to meet the unique needs of their students and communities.
Establishing a separate school district
The religious minority, either Protestant or Roman Catholic, has the right to establish a separate school district. This right is enshrined in the Constitution Act, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Alberta Act and Alberta’s Education Act.
The Separate School Establishment Manual is a guide for separate school electors. It details the process they must follow when they choose to pursue the establishment of a separate school district.
All forms must be filled out entirely and accurately to validate the establishment process.
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
- Form C-1 - Survey of residents to determine the composition of Separate School Electors (PDF, 52 KB)
- Form C-2 - Survey of residents to determine the composition of Separate School Electors (PDF, 60 KB)
- Form 1 - Notice of Intent to Establish a Separate School District (PDF, 65 KB)
- Form 2 - Separate School Establishment Area (PDF, 60 KB)
- Form 3 - Separate School Establishment Petition (PDF, 62 KB)
- Form 4 - Establishment of a Separate School District Notice of Community Information Meeting (PDF, 60 KB)
- Form 5 - Notice of Community Information Meeting (PDF, 59 KB)
- Form 6 - Establishment of a Separate School District Notice of Vote (PDF, 81 KB)
- Form 7 - Notice of the Vote for the Establishment of a Separate School District (PDF, 59 KB)
- Form 8 - Establishment of a Separate School District Community Information Meeting Record and Minutes (PDF, 64 KB)