Alberta’s registrars appeal process has changed effective December 1, 2020. The Education Manual found on this webpage is under revision and may contain information that has not been updated at this time.
Carrier & Vehicle Safety has prepared the Commercial Vehicle Safety Compliance in Alberta education manual to assist commercial truck and bus companies and their employees to operate safely and in a manner which is compliant with legislation relevant to the National Safety Code (NSC).
The manual serves only as a guide and cannot replace regulatory legislation. However, every effort has been made to ensure the information in these documents is accurate at the time of preparation. The material in these documents is not intended to represent a full training course in any subject area covered, nor is it intended to be reproduced or sold for commercial purposes or financial gain.
The manual covers a number of subjects that may assist commercial carriers and drivers when:
- a carrier first applies for a Safety Fitness Certificate
- a driver or safety officer wants to know more about specific regulatory requirements (such as hours of service or cargo securement)
- a carrier or driver wants to proactively upgrade their knowledge and understanding of best practices and regulatory requirements
- a carrier has been identified by Carrier & Vehicle Safety's on-road data monitoring program and wants to get ideas on how to improve their on-road and/or administrative programs
- a carrier has been directed by the Registrar to improve their programs (either in general or by satisfying specific conditions) and needs to better understand how they might do this
Hardcopies of the education manual can be purchased from the Alberta Motor Transport Association at:
Transportation Safety Professionals Workshop
This interactive workshop was designed to provide practical guidance to commercial bus and truck carriers operating under the requirements of the NSC program in Alberta.
Over the course of 3 days, workshop participants will be engaged in exercises and discussions related to the responsibilities of safety officers, the application of the NSC standards and related laws, and the development and implementation of successful safety and maintenance programs.
Note: Workshops taking place prior to September 2020 have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Be aware that dates may change in light of the ongoing pandemic. Continue to check the web page for updates.
Table 1. Transportation Safety Professionals Workshop schedule
Connect with Carrier & Vehicle Safety and sign up for updates.