Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
French-language content for this topic on Alberta.ca is currently being developed. Information will remain available on the Alberta Education website until this is complete.
La page correspondante en français est en cours de préparation sur le site Web Alberta.ca. Pendant cette période de transition, l'information qu'elle contient demeure disponible sur le site Web du ministère de l'Éducation.
Early Childhood Services (ECS) refers to educational programming for children before they enter Grade 1.
ECS includes both Pre-Kindergarten programming dedicated to children who require additional supports and Kindergarten.
Alberta is the only province in Canada that funds education supports for children as young as 2 years 8 months.
Pre-Kindergarten is for children who require additional supports to prepare them for Kindergarten and Grade 1. Children eligible include those:
- learning English as a second language
- requiring Francophone programming
- gifted and talented
- diagnosed with a mild, moderate, severe disability, or a language delay that is moderate or severe
Children with a severe disability or a language delay that is moderate or severe may start pre-Kindergarten at age 2 years 8 months. All other children may begin at age 3 years 8 months.
Contact your local school board or independent ECS operator for more information about available programming and registering your child.
Kindergarten is the year prior to entry into Grade 1. Children must be at least 5 years old as of December 31 of the year they have started Kindergarten.
Contact your local school board or independent ECS operator for more information about available programming and enrolling your child.
- Funding Manual
- Special Education Coding Criteria
- Critères relatifs aux codes en adaptation scolaire
- Early Childhood Services Handbook for the Identification and Review of Children with Severe Disabilities
- Manuel de l’identification et de l’évaluation des enfants ayant des incapacités graves dans les programmes de services au préscolaire
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.