October is Disability Employment Awareness Month (DEAM) in Alberta to:
- celebrate workers with disabilities and their skills, successes and achievements in the work place
- promote employment inclusion for people with varying abilities
- raise public awareness about disability employment issues and the role we all play in fostering a disability-friendly work culture
- support employers in promoting inclusive hiring practices and demonstrating their ongoing commitment to Albertans with disabilities
Community events will be held around the province throughout October to promote and celebrate DEAM.
DEAM Kick-Off – Edmonton
South Bandshell – SE Corner of the Legislature Grounds
Monday, October 1
11:30 to 1:30 p.m.
DEAM Proclamation – Calgary
Calgary City Hall, 800 Macleod Trail SE
Tuesday, October 2
11 to 2 p.m.
New and expanded services
People with disabilities make an important contribution to Alberta's workforce. As part of DEAM, we're investing in new and expanded employment services to promote accessible and inclusive workplaces by:
- supporting Inclusion Alberta initiatives to create more jobs for adults with developmental disabilities and open three new spaces in the Inclusive Post-Secondary Education program
- increasing customized employment services through Employabilities
- expanding the Internship for Persons with Disabilities program
- extending Disability Related Employment Services to all part-time workers
- increasing the amount Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) clients can spend on employment and training supports in a 12 month period