Under the Surveys Act, the Director of Surveys coordinates the establishment, maintenance and preservation of the provincial land survey system and also provides and maintains the provincial spatial referencing system. This system is a coordinate-based system used to locate geographical entities.
Tools and resources
The Director of Surveys uses two programs to help administer the Surveys Act. They are the Land Surveys and Geodetic Control units. Both of these groups offer products and services related to surveying in Alberta. They also provide important policy updates.
Alberta land surveyors and staff can find helpful information at:
- Director of Surveys Policy – Surveys Act (Surveyor’s Affidavit)
- Dual Registration of Public Land Surveys
- Dual Registration of Public Land Surveys Memorandum (PDF, 221.43 KB)
The Director of Surveys also uses the following websites (This is not an endorsement of these sites):
- information on the survey profession in Alberta: Alberta Land Surveyors’ Association
- registered survey plans and official plan set and field notes: Alberta Registries’ Spatial Information System (SPIN)
- provincial spatial data: AltaLIS Limited
For information on changes in natural boundaries and the Crown’s ownership assessment of the bed and shore of water bodies see: