Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now


What to do when someone dies in Alberta, including wills and estates, ordering death certificates and other documents.

Services and information

Tools such as a personal directive, an enduring power of attorney or a will can help plan for your future and ensure your wishes are known.

Eligible employees can take up to 3 days of unpaid leave upon a family member’s death or a pregnancy loss.

Order death certificates and documents, register a death, or get a permit to exhume a body.

Learn how fatality inquiries are used to determine the details of a death and how inquiries’ recommendations help prevent similar deaths.

How the office works, death investigation process, body transportation and report a death.

Members of the public and health professionals must report an unexpected or unexplained death they witnessed, following these steps.

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on