COVID-19 response: Alberta Media Fund changes
While the Alberta government’s immediate priority is on the frontline response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ll continue to honour Alberta Media Fund grant commitments in support of our cultural industries.
Cultural Industry Grants updates:
- expediting the distribution of the 2020-21 funding for existing Cultural Industries Operational Grants to eligible organizations in publishing and sound-recording
- the intake for Cultural Industries Organization Operating and Project Grants will not be taking applications, until further notice as a result of efforts to streamline the disbursement of operational funding
If you have questions or concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: June 1, 2020 at 11:59 pm. (intake paused)
Intake opens 60 days prior to the deadline.
If the deadline falls on a holiday or a weekend, it will be extended to the next working day at 11:59 pm.
The Cultural Industry Support Organization Operating Grant provides funding to help cover operating expenses for organizations associated with the production of books, magazines, sound recordings or film production.
This grant, under the Alberta Media Fund, promotes the growth and sustainability of our province’s cultural industry by supporting the development of talented professionals, intellectual property and quality products.
Alberta Culture, Multiculturalism and Status of Women designates eligibility to apply for this grant to the following organizations:
- Alberta Magazine Publishers Association
- Alberta Music Industry Association
- Book Publishers Association of Alberta
- Alberta Media Production Industries Association
Grant calculations consist of 2 components:
- a base amount of $50,000 for operating expenses
- up to 50% of eligible expenses, over and above the base amount
Funding is determined for a 3 year cycle.
In addition to being a designated support organization, eligible applicants must also:
- be in good standing with the Alberta Corporate Registry
- be based in Alberta
- support organizations that produce books, magazines, sound recordings or film production
Operating expenses eligible for funding include, but are not limited to:
- pay for permanent employees, artists and contractors
- maintenance of equipment and fixed assets
How to apply
Step 1: Review the guidelines
Review the Support Organizations Grant Stream Guidelines (PDF, 331 KB) to ensure you understand the requirements.
Step 2: Complete the application
Login to the Online Grant Application System to begin your application.
Step 3: Submit your application
Submit your application and all supporting documents through the Online Grant Application System by June 1, 2020 at 11:59 pm.
Faxed, emailed, late or incomplete applications are not accepted.
After you apply
We use the Support Organizations Operating Grant Assessment form to assess and score your application.
Applicants will be notified in writing of the result of their application and/or funding status after all recommendations have been approved.
Recipients are required to submit reporting materials by June 1 of each year during their three-year application cycle. Reporting requirements are listed in the guidelines.
Any unused portions of the grant must be returned to the Government of Alberta.
Credit and promotion logos
To download government logos, see Visual Identity.