- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Many Albertans 16+ are now eligible to get vaccinated. Book your shot.
Application deadline: June 1, 2021 at 11:59 pm
Intake opens 60 days prior to the deadline.
If the deadline falls on a stat holiday or a weekend, it will be extended to the next working day at 11:59 pm.
The Organization Project Grant assists Alberta-based companies engaged in the production of books, magazines or sound recordings, as well as some screen-based projects. Grants may be used to support projects in art production, training, career development, marketing and research. This grant, under the Alberta Media Fund, supports the growth and sustainability of Alberta’s cultural industries by helping them employ talented professionals, develop intellectual property and create quality products.
Organizations can apply for up to 100% of eligible expenses up to a maximum of $20,000. All applications are assessed by an expert panel who make funding recommendations to the department.
To be considered eligible, your organization must be primarily engaged in the production of:
- sound recordings
Your organization must also be:
- registered and in good standing with the appropriate legislation
- based in Alberta
- be majority owned by Alberta residents
Eligible book publishers
To be eligible to apply, you must publish or plan to publish books that:
- are permanent-bound
- are at least 48 printed pages
- are in editions of at least 500 copies
- have at least 50% of printed copies eligible for sale
Eligible applicants publish eBooks that:
- are available through major online retailers
- are at least 48 pages of print equivalent
- have at least 75% of all eBook titles for sale
Eligible magazine publishers
To be eligible to apply, you must publish or plan to publish magazines that:
- are of literary, artistic or children’s interest (500 copies in print)
- have editorial policies controlled by an editor/editorial board
- have a policy that the copyright for all published material resides with the author
- have a clear distinction between editorial content and advertising
Eligible sound recording companies
- develop, produce, license, release, promote and distribute sound recordings
- have the production copyright of the sound recording(s) owned or licensed by the label for each recording released
Eligible film production companies
- are primarily engaged in film/video productions for public viewing
- will create/have created a production with a running time, or combined times, of at least 30 minutes
Eligible projects must meet the criteria in one more of the following categories:
- art production
- training and career development
Projects considered ineligible are:
- corporate or agency newsletters
- corporate video productions
New and established companies, as well as those eligible under the Support Organizations Operating Grant, are eligible to receive funding to cover expenses associated with art production, career training, marketing and research.
Eligible expenses include, but are not limited to:
- transportation and accommodation
- royalties or licenses
- editing fees
- administration and contract fees
- promotion and publicity
Expenses that are not eligible to receive funding include:
- expenses that occur before the application date
- expenses already covered under the Alberta Production Grant, Screen-based Production Grant, Project/Script Grant or the Alberta Foundation for the Arts
How to apply
Step 1: Review the guidelines
Review the Project Grant Stream Guidelines (PDF, 347 KB) to ensure you understand the requirements.
Step 2: Create an online profile
New applicants need to set up an online profile before filling out an application by emailing [email protected] with the following information:
- first/last name
- company name
- preferred email address
Your login credentials will be emailed to you to complete the profile.
Step 3: Complete the application package
Login to the Online Grant Application System to begin your application. Refer to the GATE Step-by-Step Guide (PDF, 1.4 MB) for assistance
Step 4: Submit your application
Submit your application and all supporting documents through the Online Grant Application System by June 1, 2021 at 11:59 pm
Faxed, emailed, late or incomplete applications are not accepted.
After you apply
Your application will be assessed and scored using the Organizations Project Grant Stream Assessment form (PDF, 195 KB).
Applicants will be notified in writing of the result of their application and/or funding status after all recommendations have been approved.
Recipients are required to submit a report through the Online Grant Application System that demonstrates funds were spent as described in their application. The report is due 60 days after completion of the project.
Any unused portions of the grant must be returned to the Government of Alberta.