The CropChoice$ computer program helps you calculate expected total margins and probabilities based on your knowledge of soil and moisture conditions, along with long term yield and price expectations.
The program allows you to:
- create a "base" cropping plan, then compare it to other different scenarios
- choose a plan that works for your operation by looking at forecasted margins and their probability of success
- This program uses the most current crop insurance and crop cost information.
- At release time, "insurance coverage prices" for potatoes was not available. This version uses the 2020 Spring Insurance Prices from Agriculture Financial Services Corporation (AFSC) for this crop. This may affect your insured crop plan results but should still give reasonable estimates.
- Uses "worst-best-most likely" values for prices and yields.
- Presents contribution margins and gross margins in easy to understand statements, tables and graphs
- Evaluates the effects of different risk management strategies, such as adjusting your crop mix, purchasing crop insurance, and renegotiating your land rental agreements.
- CropChoice$ is based on yields and prices from real Alberta farms as well as crop insurance premiums and coverage levels provided by AFSC.
What's new in this version
- CropChoice$ Version 5.20 for 2020 contains updated cost profiles and crop insurance information.
- Regional benchmark costs of production have been updated where available. For best results enter your own production costs – they best reflect what happens on your farm.
- You will be able to enter up to 32 fields in each scenario and compare 8 cropping scenarios in this version.
- Files that were saved on previous versions can be opened and the new changes will be incorporated into the analysis.
Download the CropChoice$ User Guide (PDF, 960 KB)
CropChoice$ was produced by the Economics Section of Alberta Agriculture and Forestry. We very much appreciate the excellent support in resources and expertise we received from our partners: the Agriculture & Food Council through its Innovation in Agribusiness Management Fund, and the Agriculture Financial Services Corporation (AFSC).
CropChoice$ should not be used for financial forecasting outside Alberta. CropChoice$ does not deal with catastrophic events such as total crop failure. CropChoice$ tends to under estimate the value of crop insurance. CropChoice$ does not handle all crops or farm enterprises. CropChoice$ does not consider balance sheet information or non-cash fixed costs such as depreciation. CropChoice$ does not deal with AgriStability and AgriInvest.
By downloading this software, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement as set out below. If you do not agree to be bound, do not download this software.
- The software and any written materials that might accompany the electronic version of CropChoice$ ("written materials") are proprietary to and all rights except those expressly given herein remain with Her Majesty the Queen in right of Alberta ("Alberta Agriculture and Forestry").
- The software and written materials are protected by Canadian copyright law and international treaty provisions.
- You are hereby authorized to transfer the software to a single system.
- You may not copy written materials.
- You may not rent or lease the software but you may transfer all of your interest in it, accompanied by written materials, if you retain no copies and the recipient agrees to the terms of this agreement.
- You may not reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or create derivative works from the software.
- In no event will Alberta Agriculture and Forestry be liable to you for any claims, costs, losses or damages, including without limitation, lost profits or lost data arising out of the use or inability to use the software or any data or any advice supplied therein.
Sign up for updates
Fill out the online form below to get future updates about the program.
By clicking the submit button below the form you accept the above terms and conditions.
Notice of Collection
The information collected on this form that may identify you will be used to notify you electronically of the posting of updates to the "CropChoice$" program on the website. In addition, the data collected may be used to assist with monitoring use of the CropChoice$ program and evaluating and enhancing its effectiveness in an effort to maximize the benefit for its users.
The information is being collected under the authority of and is subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act. If you have any concerns regarding the collection or use of your information, please contact the Production Crops Economist:
Agriculture and Forestry
300, 7000-113 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5T6
Check system requirements.
The estimated CropChoice$ file size is 16 MB. To use the software you will need:
- Windows 2000, XP, Vista or 10
Download the software:
- Click the button below to download the file to your computer.
- You will be prompted to Save the application file. You can save it either to your desktop for easy access, or to a location on your computer where you store management tools.
Run the CropChoice$ program:
- Double-click the ‘CropChoice$5.20Setup.exe’ file in the location where you saved it.
- Remember to remove old versions of CropChoice$ from your computer.
- On an older computer, CropChoice$ may take a few minutes to open because of large internal data files.
Connect with the Economics Section: