The Feedlot Investment Risk Simulation Tool (FIR$T):
- uses computer simulation to forecast cost of gain, expected profit and breakeven levels, along with the associated risks
- incorporates your highest, most likely and lowest estimates for 4 key cattle marketing variables (feed grain price, cattle futures price, basis and currency exchange rate)
- adds risk evaluation to the process by calculating your expected Return on Equity (ROE) as well as the probability associated with that return
- presents these results in easy-to-understand tables and graphs
- is designed to analyze and compare up to 6 cattle feeding opportunities at once
- is intended for the evaluation of cattle feeding situations within the province of Alberta. See “Limitations of FIR$T” in the user guide
By downloading this software, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement as set out below. If you do not agree to be bound, do not download this software.
- The software and any written materials that might accompany the electronic version of FIR$T ('written materials') are proprietary to and all rights except those expressly given herein remain with His Majesty the King in right of Alberta ("Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation").
- The software and written materials are protected by Canadian copyright law and international treaty provisions.
- You are hereby authorized to transfer the software to a single system.
- You may not copy written materials.
- You may not rent or lease the software but you may transfer all of your interest in it, accompanied by written materials, if you retain no copies and the recipient agrees to the terms of this agreement.
- You may not reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or create derivative works from the software.
- In no event will Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation be liable to you for any claims, costs, losses or damages, including without limitation, lost profits or lost data arising out of the use or inability to use the software or any data or any advice supplied therein.
The FIR$T User Guide (PDF, 760 KB) can be downloaded or viewed online. It is also included with the FIR$T software download. The guide steps you through how to use the FIR$T Tool software program, and provides quick access to conversion tables and other useful information.
Sign up for updates
Fill out the form below to get future updates about the program.
Check system requirements.
The estimated FIR$T file size is 1.5 MB. The estimated download time is approximately 5 minutes on a 28.8K modem.
To use the program you will need:
- Windows 2000, XP, Vista or 10
- Microsoft Excel
Download the software:
- Remember to remove old versions of FIR$T I software from your computer.
- Click the button below to download the zipped file. You will be prompted to choose a location on your computer to save the file.
- Double-click afred-fir$t.zip to unzip the application file.
Run the FIR$T program:
- Double-click the FIR$T_V211_Setup.exe file to run the program.
- Close or minimize all other applications as instructed.
Connect with the Economics Section: