Changes to Alberta’s testing program

  • PCR testing for Albertans is available only for those who have clinical risk factors for severe outcomes and those who live and work in high-risk settings effective immediately.
  • Free rapid antigen test kits are available for at-home use, while supplies last.
  • Wastewater monitoring is used to provide a broad picture of infection levels in a community.
  • Isolation is recommended for Albertans with core COVID-19 symptoms. Employers should not ask for proof of a PCR or rapid test in order to receive time off of work.

Need help?

  • Translated resources are available in Af-Soomaali, Arabic, 中文, हिंदी, 한국어, ਪੰਜਾਬੀ, Español, Français, Tagalog, Tiếng Việt and Urdu. Or call 811 for help.

Monitor your symptoms

Monitor your symptoms every day to help protect others and prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Core and other symptoms apply to all COVID-19 strains and variants.

Core symptoms

If you have any of these core symptoms, you are are recommended to isolate. If you test negative, you should still stay home and away from others until symptoms resolve.

Adults over 18

  • cough
  • fever
  • shortness of breath
  • runny nose
  • sore throat
  • loss of taste or smell

Children under 18

  • cough
  • fever
  • shortness of breath
  • loss of sense of taste or smell

Other symptoms

Adults over 18

  • Stuffy nose
  • Painful swallowing
  • Chills
  • Headache
  • Muscle or joint aches
  • Feeling unwell or fatigue
  • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or unexplained loss of appetite
  • Conjunctivitis, also known as pink eye

Children under 18

  • Sore throat
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Painful swallowing
  • Chills
  • Headache
  • Muscle or joint aches
  • Feeling unwell or fatigue
  • Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or unexplained loss of appetite
  • Conjunctivitis, also known as pink eye

Caring for someone with COVID-19

If you have mild symptoms, follow advice on how to care for yourself and others at home. Do not visit an emergency department for a PCR test. Most people with mild illness do not need a test or a conversation with their doctor.

If you have severe symptoms, call 911 immediately if you experience difficulty breathing, severe chest pain, feelings of confusion, or loss of consciousness.

If you're unsure when to seek medical attention, use the Alberta Medical Association assessment tool or call Health Link 811 for advice.

Get tested

Free PCR testing through AHS Assessment Centres is only available to people at risk of severe illness or work in high risk settings.

  • Children under 2 with symptoms
  • People with symptoms who may be eligible for Paxlovid or Remdesivir (anti-viral drugs)
  • People with symptoms who are household contacts of a person who works in continuing care or acute care
  • People with symptoms who are pregnant
  • People with symptoms who live or work in isolated and remote First Nation, Inuit, and Métis communities
  • Returning international travellers who become symptomatic within 14 days after their return
  • Health care workers or workers in specific high risk settings

Take the assessment to book a PCR test

  • Testing for health care workers and workers in high risk settings

    Health care workers and workers in specific high risk settings listed here are eligible for PCR testing:

    • Health care workers*
    • Group home, disability support and shelter workers;
    • Correctional facility staff in provincial & federal facilities
    • Individuals who provide services in a clinical care setting including hospitals, clinics, pharmacies

    *You are considered a healthcare worker if you work in the following settings:

    • AHS or Covenant facility in which patient care is provided
    • Home Care
    • Primary Care
    • Diagnostic Imaging or Laboratory Clinics
    • Medical Specialty Clinics
    • Continuing Care and Licensed Supportive Living Sites
    • Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians in patient care settings
    • Other settings where face-to-face patient care is provided (including emergency medial responders)

    Take the healthcare/worker assessment to book a test

    Complete the Fit for Work Assessment for Healthcare Workers

  • Rapid antigen testing program

    At-home rapid testing

    Employers and service providers

    • Eligible employers and service providers can apply to receive free rapid test kits for use in their organization’s COVID-19 screening program. Learn more.
  • Industry-initiated testing

    Guidelines and parameters are available for companies that want to request and pay for testing for their employees, contractors or clients. Public testing is a priority.

  • Wastewater monitoring

    • Wastewater monitoring is one of many tools in understanding the overall burden of infection in a community, and provides a broad picture of infection in a community.
    • The Alberta Wastewater Surveillance Program is a collaboration between the University of Calgary, University of Alberta, Alberta Precision Laboratories, and Alberta Health.
    • The SARS-CoV-2 virus has been demonstrated to be present in the feces of a significant proportion of infected individuals, and individuals infected with COVID-19 may pass the virus in their feces before they become asymptomatic. As such, wastewater can provide an early indication of infection trends in a community.
    • The wastewater surviellance data for the province can be viewed on the Alberta COVID-19 data dashboard.

Get your results online

Access COVID-19 test results through MyHealth Records - a secure online service that helps keep track of your health information.

Get your results

Assess your severe illness risk

Some people have a higher risk of experiencing severe health outcomes, including hospitalization, intensive care or death.

Assess your risk

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.