Alberta has one of the highest testing rates in the world. We have expanded testing to better trace the spread of COVID-19. This evidence informs decisions to move to the next stage in Alberta's relaunch strategy.

We are expanding our testing to:

  • diagnose and treat individuals at greatest risk
  • trace the spread of the virus so we can identify steps to limit the spread
  • determine how well our public health measures are working

Alberta's testing approach will evolve as we learn more about the virus and testing technologies improve.

Who is being tested

Testing is now available to any person without symptoms who wants to be tested. This gives us more information on the prevalence of COVID-19 in Alberta by providing a point-in-time assessment of whether a person has COVID-19.

The following groups will continue to receive priority for testing:

  • any person exhibiting any symptom of COVID-19
  • all close contacts of confirmed COVID-19 cases
  • all workers and/or residents at specific outbreak sites
  • all workers and residents at long-term care and level 4 supportive living facilities (testing will be rolled out starting the week of May 25 and may not be offered at some locations right away)
  • all patients admitted to continuing care or transferred between continuing care and hospital settings

How to get tested

Albertans can book a testing appointment online with the AHS assessment tool:

Take the COVID-19 self-assessment for Albertans

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you may also call Health Link 811 for assistance.

Health care, shelter and enforcement personnel

While all Albertans are currently eligible for testing, the following flowchart and online assessment tool are available to guide you:


You should get tested if you have any COVID-19 symptom:

  • Fever*
  • Cough (new cough or worsening chronic cough)*
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing (new or worsening)*
  • Runny nose*
  • Stuffy nose
  • Sore throat*
  • Painful swallowing
  • Headache
  • Chills
  • Muscle or joint aches
  • Feeling unwell in general, or new fatigue or severe exhaustion
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or unexplained loss of appetite)
  • Loss of sense of smell or taste
  • Conjunctivitis, commonly known as pink eye

If you have symptoms

*If you have a fever, cough, shortness of breath, runny nose or sore throat, you are legally required to isolate for at least 10 days from the start of your symptoms or until they resolve, whichever is longer.

If you have any of the other symptoms, stay home and minimize your contact with others until your symptoms resolve.

Monitor your health and call Health Link 811 if you have questions or concerns. Call 911 immediately if experiencing severe symptoms of COVID-19, including difficulty breathing, severe chest pain, feelings of confusion or loss of consciousness.

Help prevent the spread

You're also encouraged to download and use the ABTraceTogether mobile contact tracing app when out in public.

This voluntary app helps let you know if you've been exposed to COVID-19 – or if you've exposed others – while protecting your privacy.

See other ways to help prevent the spread.