- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 40+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
Provincewide restrictions on social gatherings do not apply to co-parenting arrangements, or service visits from family care givers, health care or child care providers. However, those visits must be limited to their intended purpose.
Licensed facility-based programs and licensed family day home agencies can operate as long as providers follow all public health orders and guidance for child care programs.
Licensed child care
- Guidance for Licensed Child Care Centres (Daycares and Out-of-School Care)
- Guidance for Preschools
- Alberta Biz Connect – additional workplace guidance and supports to help businesses and non-profits affected by COVID-19 begin to reopen and resume operations safely
See all Public health orders.
Home-based child care
Licensed child care
Family day home educators operating under licensed agencies can offer child care for up to 6 children not including their own.
Unlicensed child care
Unlicensed child care programs can provide child care for up to 6 children, not including their own, at any given time. We do not monitor unlicensed or private child care arrangements but can issue closures if they are over this limit.
Enhanced sanitation practices should be used by all home-based child care providers, whether they are licensed or unlicensed:
- routinely clean and disinfect any surface that people regularly touch
- handwashing facilities or hand sanitizer must be available to children
- visitors and children should not enter if they are feeling unwell
- visitors should wash their hands frequently
Find child care
If you are in need of child care, see more information on finding and choosing child care.
You can also find licensed child care in your area using the:
- Relief for working parents | Aide aux parents travailleurs (February 24, 2021)
- Dr. Hinshaw Article: Changes to the daily symptoms checklist for children under 18 (October 30, 2020)
- More support to help relaunch child care sector | Un soutien accru pour aider à relancer le secteur de la garde d'enfants (September 22, 2020)
- Relief for the child care sector (May 6, 2020)