COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Charter schools are autonomous non-profit public schools that:
- provide basic education in a different or enhanced way
- follow Alberta's programs of study (curriculum)
- have a focus not already offered by the board of the school authority in which the charter schools are located. This could include unique:
- learning styles
- teaching styles
- demonstrate collaboration or engagement with a post-secondary institution or a school authority
- have the potential to improve the education system as a whole and enhance education research and innovation
Alberta has 13 charter schools in 23 school buildings. Most school authorities with charter schools are in Calgary and Edmonton.
Find a list of Alberta charter schools.
Charter Schools Handbook
The Charter Schools Handbook includes information to help:
- parents learn more about charter schools
- charter organizers plan and establish a charter school
- administrators process charter school applications
- Education Act
- Charter Schools Regulation
- Accommodating Students with Exceptional Needs in Charter Schools
Connect with Alberta Education for more information on charter schools.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.