Charter schools are autonomous non-profit public schools that:
- provide basic education in a different or enhanced way
- follow Alberta's programs of study (curriculum)
- have a focus not already offered by the board of the school authority in which the charter schools are located. This could include unique:
- learning styles
- teaching styles
- demonstrate collaboration or engagement with a post-secondary institution or a school authority
- have the potential to improve the education system as a whole and enhance education research and innovation
Alberta has 13 charter schools in 23 school buildings. Most school authorities with charter schools are in Calgary and Edmonton.
Find a list of Alberta charter schools.
Charter Schools Handbook
The Charter Schools Handbook includes information to help:
- parents learn more about charter schools
- charter organizers plan and establish a charter school
- administrators process charter school applications
Government is revising the Charter Schools Handbook and will post the updated handbook online when it is available.
- Education Act
- Charter Schools Regulation
- Accommodating Students with Exceptional Needs in Charter Schools
Connect with Alberta Education for more information on charter schools.