A Cemetery Pre-Need Contract Business Licence authorizes a business or a person to solicit to enter or enter into pre-need contracts under which that business promises to provide, or to arrange for the provision of cemetery supplies or cemetery services or both before the death of the person for whose benefit the contract is entered into.
Telephone and door-to-door contacts selling pre-need cemetery goods are prohibited unless specifically requested by the consumer. All other forms of direct sale, including mailing or distribution of brochures or other sales material, and other types of advertising in the media and on the Internet can continue.
Businesses soliciting, negotiating or concluding sales contracts in person at any place other than the seller’s place of business require a Direct Selling business licence. For more information see the Direct Seller’s page.
There is a licensing fee of $100, payable to the Government of Alberta. This fee is for a one-year licence from April 1 to March 31. If you are applying after October 1, the licensing fee is $50.
How to apply
You will need to complete an application form and pay a licensing fee. To get started, follow these instructions to save and open the application and other applicable forms.
Failure to provide complete information will delay processing of your application and may result in a refund of your fees and closure of your file.
Step 1. Fill out the application form
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Step 2. Submit the application form
Email your application form to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be contacted to set-up online payment for the one-time $100 licensing fee ($50 after October 1).
You may also mail or drop off your application package to the address noted on the application. You may pay by credit card online, by credit card or debit card in person at our office, or you may mail a cheque or money order to our office.
When paying by cheque or money order please make it payable to the Government of Alberta.
Processing of your application will not start until payment is received.
After you apply
Licence takes effect the day the licence is issued.
It is your responsibility to ensure your licence is in force as long as you continue to do business. Once your licence is issued please make note of the expiry date and ensure your licence is renewed prior to this date.
- Pre-need money must be held in trust by an authorized trustee. A list of authorized trustees can be found here. Cemetery Pre-need Contract Business Licensees that are selling monuments must submit an Accountant’s Report and a Statement to the Service Alberta Director of Cemeteries annually, no later than 120 days after their fiscal year end.
- You can complete the following forms on line and then print them, or you can print and complete off line:
- Cemetery pre-need contracts with consumers must contain specific information. A contract to provide cemetery supplies and/or services must be delivered to the purchaser within 7 days of signing/entering into the agreement and shall:
- Be in writing
- Be signed by the purchaser or lessee
- Be signed by the salesperson
- State the name of the salesperson and the name of any owner for whom the salesperson is acting,
- Contain the notice prescribed in the regulation (the notice must be at least as prominent as the contents of the contract)
- See Cemeteries Act, General Regulation for Schedule of Cancellation Rights
- Contain a detail listing of the cemetery supplies or cemetery services or both, to be provided by the vendor and the cost to be charged to the purchased for each of those cemetery supplies or cemetery services,
- If any of the applicant, partners, directors or officers primary residence is Out-of-Canada, a criminal record check is required from the jurisdiction of the individual’s primary residence which follows the requirements set out by Citizenship and Immigration Canada or a check provided by a local policing organization (i.e., state or municipal police service) provided the results include national records. For US applicants, a criminal history record information check performed by a vendor from this list is also acceptable.
Copies of legislation can be obtained from the Queen’s Printer Bookstore.
Renewing a licence
You may use Service Alberta’s PABLO (Province of Alberta Business Licensing Online) to renew your licence.
This system is used for processing payments, printing issued licenses and renewing licenses.
- Applications submitted by email, fax or without payment will have a user ID created in the name of the applicant and provided to their email address. They will need to submit payment or their application will not be processed.
- Once issued, licenses are made available electronically for printing by the business. If an ID does not already exist one will be created and provided to the applicant’s email address along with notification the licence has been issued. If an ID was created for payment of the fees the applicant will receive an email notification the licence has been issued.
- Within 60 days prior to the expiry of a licence a renewal may be processed using this system. Mark your calendar as a reminder so you stay continuously licensed.