Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
A Cemetery Pre-Need Contract Business Licence authorizes a business or a person to solicit to enter or enter into pre-need contracts under which that business promises to provide, or to arrange for the provision of cemetery supplies or cemetery services or both before the death of the person for whose benefit the contract is entered into.
If your business does not require this licence, you do not need to proceed further.
How to apply
You will need to complete:
- information on your business
- salesperson information
- criminal record check or a police information check
- trust account information
- payment of a licensing fee
To get started, follow the instructions below to save and open the application form.
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
If you are still having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.
It is your responsibility to ensure your licence is in force as long as you continue to do business. Once your licence is issued make note of the expiry date and ensure your licence is renewed prior to this date.
Pre-need money must be held in-trust, by an authorized trustee. See the list of authorized trustees.
Cemetery Pre-need Contract Business Licensees must submit an accountant’s report and a statement to Service Alberta and Red Tape Reduction annually, no later than 120 days after their fiscal year-end. Complete the required fiscal forms:
- Accountant’s Report on Pre-Need Assurance Fund (PDF, 87 KB)
- Statement of Pre-Need Assurance Fund (PDF, 78 KB)
Cemetery pre-need contracts with consumers must contain specific information. A contract to provide cemetery supplies or services must be delivered to the purchaser within 7 days of signing or entering into the agreement and shall:
- be in writing
- be signed by the purchaser or lessee
- be signed by the salesperson
- state the name of the salesperson and the name of any owner for whom the salesperson is acting
- contain the notice prescribed in the regulation – the notice must be at least as prominent as the contents of the contract
- see General Regulation (Cemeteries Act) for Schedule of Cancellation Rights
- contain a detail listing of the cemetery supplies or cemetery services or both, to be provided by the vendor and the cost to be charged to the purchaser for each of those cemetery supplies or cemetery services
Note: applicant, directors, officers and partners are required to read the Cemeteries Act and its regulations associated with this licence and understand that certain sections are of significance, including but not limited to the specific sections noted below.
- Part 4 regarding Pre-Need Sale of Cemetery Supplies and Services
- Sections 3, 4, and 5 regarding contracts
- Section 6 regarding change of a salesperson's agency
- Section 7 regarding training programs
- Section 8 regarding continuing education
- Section 9 regarding transfer of money to authorized trustee
- Section 10 regarding period for transfer exemption
- Section 11 regarding maximum administration fee
- Section 12 regarding trustee's remuneration
- Section 13 regarding reporting to director
Prohibited practices include, but are not limited to:
- Telephone and door-to-door contacts selling pre-need cemetery goods are prohibited unless specifically requested by the consumer. Other forms of direct sale, including mailing or distribution of brochures or other sales material, and other types of advertising in the media and online are permitted.
- Businesses soliciting, negotiating or concluding sales contracts in person at any place other than the seller’s place of business require a Direct Selling business licence.
Copies of legislation can be obtained from the Alberta King’s Printer.
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.