Programs and resources are available to enhance Alberta companies’ access to capital, mentorship, management expertise, markets and supports to help them grow and diversify.
Alberta entrepreneurs can access capital in a variety of ways including:
We also partner with Alberta research and innovation stakeholders and other provincial and federal agencies to deliver supports that improve Alberta technology companies’ investment readiness.
Whether you are a new start-up, early-stage entrepreneur or an established small or medium-sized business, there are a number of resources that can help fund and finance your business.
Please be sure to check the eligibility for each program and resource, as requirements may vary.
Alberta entrepreneurs can access a number of resources to identify available funding.
Small business resources
An overview of small business resources is available to Alberta entrepreneurs, including options for accessing grants and other types of capital.
Provincial tax credits
Alberta companies have access to a number of provincial tax credit programs, including:
- the Alberta Investor Tax Credit, which encourages investment in non-traditional sectors with job creation potential
- the Capital Investment Tax Credit, which encourages manufacturing, processing and tourism infrastructure companies to make capital investment in Alberta
The Government of Canada provides an overview of grants, loans, private and public sector financing available to entrepreneurs, including a tool to generate a personalized list of government financing programs for your business.
Innovation Canada Digital Platform
The Innovation Canada Digital Platform helps companies identify programs, supports and capital sources to support them across all ranges of company growth.
Supports are available to help Alberta entrepreneurs identify sources of equity capital investment.
Alberta Enterprise Corporation
The Alberta Enterprise Corporation (AEC) helps attract venture capital funds to Alberta to:
- provide capital, support and expertise to technology-based businesses looking to launch or expand
- help technology-based businesses get their ideas and products to market
Venture Capital Association of Alberta
The Venture Capital Association of Alberta (VCAA) supports the exchange of information and promotes excellence among key participants in Alberta’s venture capital industry. The VCAA is Alberta’s primary industry association for:
- venture capital
- private equity
- angel investors
- others interested in growing Alberta’s venture capital industry
A100 is Alberta’s community of seasoned technology founders and executives. A100 members expand networks, connect people, and share experiences to help the next generation of tech entrepreneurs thrive in Alberta.
The following resources and organizations offer debt financing to support company growth.
ATB Financial offers financing solutions and access to experts and resources to help Alberta businesses start and grow.
Agriculture Financial Services Corporation
The Agriculture Financial Services Corporation (AFSC) is a provincial Crown corporation that provides producers, agribusinesses and other small businesses:
- farm and commercial loans
- hail, crop and livestock price insurance
- farm income disaster assistance
Export Development Canada
Export Development Canada (EDC) offers financing and bonding solutions to support companies who wish to pursue international expansion and compete in global markets.
Business Development Bank of Canada
Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) offers Alberta entrepreneurs access to:
- financing solutions to finance projects and protect cash flow
- advisory services to run a better and more profitable business
- venture capital and financing solutions for growth and business transition
Alberta Women Entrepreneurs
Alberta Women Entrepreneurs (AWE) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping women build successful businesses.
AWE provides unique programs and services to women at all stages of business through:
- skills and network development
Financing for Indigenous entrepreneurs
The federal government offers resources and information on how to start, manage and grow a business for First Nations, Inuit or Métis business owners, or those thinking about becoming an entrepreneur.
Explore programs and business support organizations specifically for Indigenous entrepreneurs.
Canada Small Business Financing Program
The Canada Small Business Financing Program is a loan-sharing program between the federal government and financial institutions across Canada that helps small and medium-sized businesses access affordable asset-based financing up to $1 million.
The Alberta government collaborates with investors and finance and venture capital providers to identify opportunities and supports that enhance access to capital for Alberta entrepreneurs. Some of these partners include:
- ATB Financial
- Alberta Enterprise Corporation
- Business Development Bank of Canada
- Export Development Canada
- Agriculture Financial Services Corporation
- Alberta Innovates
- Emissions Reduction Alberta
- Energy Efficiency Alberta
- Alberta Women Entrepreneurs
Economic Development, Trade and Tourism
8th Floor, Commerce Place
10155 102 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4L6