Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
Businesses that sell, lease, repair or consign vehicles are required to comply with the business practices and consumer protections outlined in the Automotive Business Regulation.
The updated regulation comes into effect on October 31, 2018. It introduces industry-wide standards to help buyers have a straightforward experience when buying a vehicle.
Before you buy
Buying a vehicle is a major decision. It’s important to know what you are looking for.
To help make an informed purchase:
To protect buyers from unexpected and unauthorized charges, businesses are now required to:
- inform you of the history and condition of a vehicle, such as previous use, ownership or details of any damages, through readily available sources, such as:
- vehicle inspections
- mechanical fitness assessments
- private reporting companies
- provide, at the time of purchase, a comprehensive bill of sale document that outlines vehicle information and the sales agreement
- provide written estimates upon request
- get your consent before starting any work - consent can be given through the most convenient method (phone, email, text message) agreed to by both you and the business
After you buy
After a vehicle has been sold, businesses are required to:
- remove any outstanding liens on a vehicle within 7 days
- remove any advertising about the vehicle within 14 days
File a complaint
If you have any issues with a business or registered salesperson, you can file a complaint to the Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council.
Connect with AMVIC Consumer Services if you have any questions, concerns or complaints regarding Alberta's automotive industry:
Phone: 780-466-1140 ext. 2002
Toll free: 1-877-979-8100 ext. 2002
Email: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.