Services and information
- Board Development Program – Information bulletins
Find publications that can help non-profit board members improve skills and gain knowledge in board governance.
The Board Development Program (BDP) focuses on improving the governance of non-profit organizations through:
- curriculum-based training for individuals and groups on topics like board roles and responsibilities, policy development and effective use of committees
- volunteer instructor opportunities
- consultation and presentation services
The BDP offers multi-board training in the form of Open Workshops.
Open Workshops are for individual board volunteers and non-profit staff from any non-profit organization as well as anyone generally interested in governance. They allow you to share proven successful ideas from other boards that have gone through similar situations. An Open Workshop is sponsored by any organization on behalf of the larger community anywhere in Alberta.
If you are interested in co-sponsoring an Open Workshop with the Board Development Program, please see our contact information below.
If you are interested in attending an Open Workshop, please check our current schedule below for a list of upcoming Open Workshops, their dates and locations. If you are interested in registering for one of the Open Workshops, please get in touch with the contact that is listed for that workshop so that they can provide you with the registration details.
Open Workshop schedule
Saturday, November 17, 2018
Co-sponsor: Town of Hinton
Contact: Lisa Brett
The Board Development Program has many resources to help non-profits develop their governance boards.
Information Bulletins are professionally produced by the board development program staff and various expert consultants. Bulletins cover topics relevant to non-profit board members or senior staff seeking to improve skills and gain knowledge in governance. Information provided in each bulletin, including contact names and numbers, are reviewed regularly for accuracy and relevance.
- Board Development Information Bulletins (available in French)
The Board Development Program and the Muttart Foundation produced a series of workbooks to help non-profits with challenges they may face. Workbooks are reviewed frequently and the latest edited versions including the Index feature are posted.
- How to write effective job descriptions and clarify roles and responsibilities.
- How to understand organizational bylaws, translate legalese into plain language and incorporate a non-profit in Alberta.
- How to recruit skilled volunteers and leaders, and keep them committed.
- A guide for board directors who are in the process of hiring a new Executive Director and/or providing a performance appraisal.
- A guide to financial responsibilities, budgets, bookkeeping and financial statements.
Roles and Responsibilities online course
The Board Roles and Responsibilities is an online course, offered in partnership with the Alberta Library Trustees Association, that is designed to help non-profit board members enhance their board’s effectiveness.
To connect with the Board Development Program:
#905 Standard Life Centre
10405 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4R7