- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 55+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
The Board Development Program (BDP) focuses on improving the governance of non-profit organizations through:
- curriculum-based training for individuals and groups on topics like board roles and responsibilities, policy development and effective use of committees
- consultation and presentation services
The BDP offers multi-board training in the form of Introduction to Board Governance Workshops.
These workshops are for individual board volunteers and non-profit staff from any non-profit organization as well as anyone generally interested in governance. They allow you to share proven successful ideas from other boards that have gone through similar situations. An Introduction to Board Governance Workshop is sponsored by any organization on behalf of the larger community anywhere in Alberta.
Co-sponsoring a workshop
If you are interested in co-sponsoring an Introduction to Board Governance Workshop with the Board Development Program, please email [email protected] for more information.
Attending a workshop
If you are interested in attending an Introduction to Board Governance Workshop, please check our current schedule below for a list of upcoming workshops, their dates and locations. If you are interested in registering for one of the workshops, please get in touch with the contact that is listed for that workshop so that they can provide you with the registration details.
Introduction to Board Governance Workshop schedule
We are now hosting Board Development Program workshops online. For more information, including how to register.
Webinars include the following Board Development Program topics:
- Understanding the Non-Profit Legal Landscape
- Roles and Responsibilities of a Non-Profit Board of Directors
- Legal Responsibilities of a Non-Profit
- Non-Profit Organizational Purpose and Planning
- Financial Responsibilities of a Non-Profit
- Risk Management for Non-Profits
- Non-Profit Committees and How to Run Effective Meetings
- Building a Strong Non-Profit Team
- How to Foster Effective Relationships in a Non-Profit
If you can’t make any of these workshops and are still interested in board governance training check out the upcoming Board Leadership events.
The BDP has many resources to help non-profits develop their governance boards.
Information Bulletins are professionally produced by the BDP staff and various expert consultants. Bulletins cover topics relevant to non-profit board members or senior staff seeking to improve skills and gain knowledge in governance. Information provided in each bulletin, including contact names and numbers, are reviewed regularly for accuracy and relevance.
- Board Development Information Bulletins (available in French)
The BDP and the Muttart Foundation produced a series of workbooks to help non-profits with challenges they may face. Workbooks are reviewed frequently and the latest edited versions including the Index feature are posted.
- Developing Job Descriptions for Board Members of Non-profit Organizations (PDF, 302 KB)
How to write effective job descriptions and clarify roles and responsibilities.
- Drafting and Revising Bylaws (PDF, 598 KB)
How to understand organizational bylaws, translate legalese into plain language and incorporate a non-profit in Alberta.
- Board Building: Recruiting and Developing Effective Board Members for Nonprofit Organizations (PDF, 712 KB)
How to recruit skilled volunteers and leaders, and keep them committed.
- Hiring and Performance Appraisal of the Executive Director (PDF, 602 KB)
A guide for board directors who are in the process of hiring a new Executive Director and/or providing a performance appraisal.
- Financial Responsibilities of Non-profit Boards (PDF, 686 KB)
A guide to financial responsibilities, budgets, bookkeeping and financial statements.
To access services from the BDP:
Email: [email protected]