COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
The Board Development Program (BDP) focuses on improving the governance of non-profit organizations through:
- curriculum-based training for individuals and groups on topics like board roles and responsibilities, policy development and effective use of committees
- consultation and presentation services
The BDP offers multi-board training in the form of Introduction to Board Governance Workshops.
These workshops are for individual board volunteers and non-profit staff from any non-profit organization as well as anyone generally interested in governance. They allow you to share proven successful ideas from other boards that have gone through similar situations. An Introduction to Board Governance Workshop is sponsored by any organization on behalf of the larger community anywhere in Alberta.
Co-sponsoring a workshop
If you are interested in co-sponsoring an Introduction to Board Governance Workshop with the Board Development Program, contact us for more information.
Attending a workshop
If you are interested in attending an Introduction to Board Governance Workshop, check our current schedule below for a list of upcoming workshops, their dates and locations.
If you are interested in registering for one of the workshops, get in touch with the contact that is listed for that workshop so they can provide you with the registration details.
Introduction to Board Governance Workshop schedule
We are now hosting Board Development Program workshops online – more information and how to register.
Webinars include the following Board Development Program topics:
- Understanding the Non-Profit Legal Landscape
- Roles and Responsibilities of a Non-Profit Board of Directors
- Legal Responsibilities of a Non-Profit
- Non-Profit Organizational Purpose and Planning
- Financial Responsibilities of a Non-Profit
- Risk Management for Non-Profits
- Non-Profit Committees and How to Run Effective Meetings
- Building a Strong Non-Profit Team
- How to Foster Effective Relationships in a Non-Profit
If you cannot make any of these workshops and are still interested in board governance training check out the upcoming Board Leadership events.
The BDP has many resources to help non-profits develop their governance boards.
Information bulletins are professionally produced by the BDP staff and various expert consultants. The bulletins cover topics relevant to non-profit board members or senior staff seeking to improve skills and gain knowledge in governance. Information provided in each bulletin, including contact names and numbers, are reviewed regularly for accuracy and relevance.
- Board Development Information Bulletins (available in French)
The BDP and the Muttart Foundation produced a series of workbooks to help non-profits with challenges they may face. Workbooks are reviewed frequently and the latest edited versions including the Index feature are posted.
- Developing Job Descriptions for Board Members of Non-profit Organizations – How to write effective job descriptions and clarify roles and responsibilities.
- Drafting and Revising Bylaws – How to understand organizational bylaws, translate legalese into plain language and incorporate a non-profit in Alberta.
- Board Building: Recruiting and Developing Effective Board Members for Nonprofit Organizations – How to recruit skilled volunteers and leaders, and keep them committed.
- Hiring and Performance Appraisal of the Executive Director – A guide for board directors who are in the process of hiring a new Executive Director and/or providing a performance appraisal.
- Financial Responsibilities of Non-profit Boards – A guide to financial responsibilities, budgets, bookkeeping and financial statements.
Connect with the BDP:
Email: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.