- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 55+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
Application deadline: March 1, 2021 at 11:59 pm
Intake opens 60 days prior to the deadline.
If the deadline falls on a stat holiday or a weekend, it will be extended to the next working day at 11:59 pm.
The Project/Script Development Grant provides Alberta writers, directors and producers with funding to help cover expenses related to the development of professional quality, commercial-ready projects and/or scripts that are at least 30 minutes in broadcast length.
Applications must involve participation of a writer and producer. The producer must be an Alberta resident.
This grant, under the Alberta Media Fund, supports the growth, sustainability, competitiveness and business attraction of Alberta’s screen-based production industry.
Applicants may apply for up to $55,000 per project (or a total of $70,000 per parent company with multiple projects) per fiscal year at the following stages of production:
|Pre-development||First draft||Final draft|
To be eligible to apply, your organization must be:
- incorporated in Alberta
- in good standing with the Corporate Registry
- in good standing with the Alberta Media Fund
Eligible projects must be:
- new productions
- at least 30 broadcast minutes in length
Projects that are not eligible for funding include:
- news, current events or public affairs programming
- talk shows
- production in respect to a game or contest
- sports event or activity
- productions that solicits funds
- reality TV
- pornography/adult entertainment
- productions for industrial, corporate or institutional purposes
- console or online video games
- software programming platforms
- video distribution platforms or aggregators
Eligible expenses include, but are not limited to:
- option fees for literary material
- writer and producer fees
- series proposals
- research or travel expenses
- script consulting and editing fees
- corporate overhead and legal fees
- screen-play workshopping
- demo reel and pitching material
Capital items are not considered eligible.
Expenses incurred prior to application submissions are not considered eligible.
How to apply
Step 1: Review the guidelines
Review the Project Script Development Grant Guidelines (PDF, 82 KB) to ensure you understand the requirements.
Step 2: Create an online profile
New applicants need to set up an online profile before filling out an application. To do this, email [email protected] with the following information:
- first/last name
- company name
- preferred email address
Your login credentials will be emailed to you.
Step 3: Complete the application
Login to the Online Grant Application System to begin your application. Refer to the GATE Application Tips (PDF, 883 KB) and Guide for online Project/Script Development Application Submission for assistance.
Step 4: Gather the required documents
Refer to the application requirements listed in the guidelines. The items listed must be submitted with your application or it will be considered incomplete. Refer to the Project/Script Development Grant FAQ for assistance.
Step 5: Submit your application
Your application and all supporting documents must be received through the Online Grant Application System by March 1, 2021 at 11:59 pm.
Faxed, emailed, late or incomplete applications are not accepted.
After you apply
Your application will be assessed and scored using the Jury Assessment Form (PDF, 151 KB). Applicants will be notified in writing of the result of their application.
Recipients are required to submit a report that demonstrates funds were spent as described in their application. Funds are to be returned if reporting requirements are not met.
The report is due 60 days after completion of the project, and must include:
- a complete and accurate financial report
- a copy of the work produced
Connect with the Project/Script Development Grant program: