Emission offsets are generated by projects that have voluntarily reduced their greenhouse gas emissions. Emission offsets are quantified using Alberta-approved methodologies called quantification protocols, and are verified by a third party in accordance with the Standard for Validation, Verification and Audit.
Emission offset projects must meet the requirements in the Carbon Competitiveness Incentive Regulation, the Standard for Greenhouse Gas Emission Offset Project Developers and a relevant Alberta-approved quantification protocol.
Emission offsets are registered and listed on the Alberta Emissions Offset Registry operated by CSA Group.
Standards and guidance
- Carbon Offset Emission Factors Handbook
- Standard for Greenhouse Gas Emission Offset Project Developers
- Standard for Validation, Verification and Audit
- Verification Report Template (DOCX, 87 KB)
- Technical Guidance for Offset Protocol Development and Revision
- Technical Guidance for the Assessment of Additionality
- Aerobic Composting
- Aerobic Landfill Bioreactor
- Agricultural Nitrous Oxide Emission Reductions
- Biofuel Production and Usage
- CO2 Capture and Permanent Storage in Deep Saline Aquifers
- Conservation Cropping
- Distributed Renewable Energy Generation
- Emissions Reductions from Dairy Cattle
- Energy Efficiency Projects
- Energy Generation from the Combustion of Biomass Waste
- Engine Fuel Management and Vent Gas Capture
- Greenhouse Gas Emission Reductions from Pneumatic Devices
- Landfill Gas Capture and Combustion
- Low-Retention, Water-Powered Electricity Generation as Run-of-the-River or an Existing Reservoir
- Reduced Age at Harvest of Beef Cattle
- Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Fed Cattle
- Selection for Low Residual Feed Intake Markers in Beef Cattle
- Solar Electricity Generation
- Waste Heat Recovery
- Wind-Powered Electricity Generation
The following protocols are flagged, which means that a project developer cannot initiate or implement an emission offset project without written authorization from the director.
For more information on applying to the director to use a flagged protocol, please see the Standard for Greenhouse Gas Emission Offset Project Developers.
- Anaerobic Decomposition of Agricultural Materials (Version 1)
- Anaerobic Treatment of Wastewater Projects (Version 1.0)
- Enhanced Oil Recovery (Version 1)
- Enhanced Oil Recovery – Streamlined (Version 1)
- Solution Gas Conservation (Version 1.0)
To obtain background information that supports the protocols, please contact the Alberta Climate Change Office by email at email@example.com.
The following protocols are withdrawn, which means that no new projects can be initiated using these protocols. For information on withdrawn protocols, see the Standard for Greenhouse Gas Emission Offset Project Developers.
- Acid Gas Injection (Version 1)
- Aerobic Composting (Version 2.0)
The Quantification Protocol for Aerobic Composting Version 2.0 has been withdrawn and replaced with the Quantification Protocol for Aerobic Composting Version 3.0.
- Conversion of Drilling Rigs from Diesel-Electric to High Line Electricity Source (Version 1.0)
- Direct Reductions in Greenhouse Gas Emissions Arising from Changes in Forest Harvest Practices (Version 1.0)
- Energy Efficiency for Commercial and Institutional Buildings (Version 1.0)
- Energy Efficiency Projects (Version 1)
- Energy Generation From the Combustion of Biomass Waste (Version 2.0)
- Engine Fuel Management and Vent Gas Capture (Version 1.0)
- Fuel Switching in Mobile Equipment (Version 1.0)
- Gravel and Lightly Surfaced Road Rehabilitation Projects (Version 1)
- Including Edible Oils in Cattle Feeding Regimes (PDF, 25 KB)
- Innovative Feeding of Swine and Storing and Spreading of Swine Manure (PDF, 25 KB)
- Instrument Gas to Instrument Air Conversion in Process Control Systems (Version 1.0)
The Quantification Protocol for Instrument Gas to Instrument Air Conversion in Process Control Systems has been withdrawn and replaced with the Quantification Protocol for Greenhouse Gas Reductions from Pneumatic Devices effective January 25, 2017.
- Landfill Gas Capture and Combustion (Version 2.0)
- Modal Freight Shifting
- Nitrous Oxide Abatement from Nitric Acid Production (Version 1.0)
- Non-Incineration of Thermal Waste Conversion (Version 1.0)
- Reducing Days on Feed of Beef Cattle (Version 2.0)
The Quantification Protocol Reducing Days on Feed of Beef Cattle has been replaced with the Quantification Protocol for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Fed Cattle.
- Substitution of Bitumen Binder in Hot Mix Asphalt Production and Usage (Version 1.0)
- Tillage System Management
The Quantification Protocol for Tillage System Management (February 2009) has been replaced with the Quantification Protocol for Conservation Cropping (March 2012) effective January 1, 2012 for offset credits generated in 2012 and forward.
- Waste Heat Recovery Projects (Version 1)
- Waste Heat Recovery – Streamlined (Version 1)
Documents for comment
Alberta's protocol development process is outlined in the Technical Guidance for Offset Protocol Development and Revision. As part of the development and revision process, draft protocols are posted for a 30-day public comment period.
Currently no documents for comment.
Drafts previously posted
Comments no longer accepted.
- Background on Original Grid Displacement Factor (PDF, 156 KB)
- Electricity Grid Displacement Factor Draft Discussion Paper (PDF, 219 KB)
- Draft Quantification Protocol for Biogas Production and Combustion (PDF, 1 MB)
Notices and updates
- Alberta Emissions Offset System Protocol Revision and Withdrawal (PDF, 35 KB)
- Interaction of Emission Offsets and Rebates from Energy Efficiency Alberta (PDF, 32 KB)
- Flagging Solution Gas Protocol (PDF, 26 KB)
- Carbon Offset Emission Factors Handbook (PDF, 108 KB)
- Notice of Change of Registry Service Provider for the Alberta Emission Offset Registry (PDF, 82 KB)
- Notice of Change for Global Warming Potentials (PDF, 41 KB)
- Ownership Requirements for First Nations Projects (PDF, 24 KB)
- Clarification on Eligibility Requirements for Aggregated Tillage Projects on First Nations Lands (PDF, 50 KB)
- Notice of Final Deadlines for Claiming Historic Offset Credits (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- Reminder on Third Party Verification and Audits Requirements (PDF, 1 MB)
- Notice of Eligibility Requirements for First Nations Tillage Management Projects (PDF, 2 MB)
- Ownership Requirements for Aggregated Tillage Management Projects (PDF, 48 KB)
- Notice to Aggregators Regarding Aggregation of Offset Credits Generated on First Nations and Metis (PDF, 2 MB)
- Year End 2018 CCIR Compliance Workshop presentation (PDF, 2 MB)
- 2018 CCIR Compliance Workshop presentation (PDF, 1 MB)
- 2017 SGER Compliance Workshop presentation (PDF, 308 KB)
- 2016 Specified Gas Emitters and Reporting Workshop presentation (PDF, 3 MB)
Subscribe to mailing list
This automatic email system distributes information pertaining to the Alberta Emission Offset System to subscribers. This list and the department’s website are the primary sources of information and updates on Alberta’s Emission Offset System.
This information is collected so we may provide you with updates.
The email address you provide to Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) is collected under the authorization of Section 8 (1) (2) of the Government Organization Act, and is being managed in accordance with Section 33 (c) of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Submitting this information is strictly voluntary and by providing your email address you are giving AEP your permission to use your email address to subscribe to updates on AEP Alberta Emission Offset System Mailing List. Your email address will be shared in confidence with direct line Manager, Director and System Administrator. Your personal information will not be used or disclosed for any other purpose without your consent by AEP.
Should you wish to have your personal information removed, changed or have any further questions or concerns, please contact Robert Hamaliuk, Regulatory and Compliance at 780-644-8364.
Connect with the Alberta Climate Change Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.