Alberta Education works with international partners to enable them to offer the Alberta curriculum to students.
Alberta Accredited International Schools (AAIS) works to:
- increase international recognition of Alberta’s high-quality education through its international schools
- enable international schools to provide the Alberta curriculum and credentials to their local students
- create sustainable and efficient opportunities for internationals schools to receive and maintain Alberta Education accreditation
- collaborate with government ministries and non-government organizations to link accredited schools, their teachers, students and community leaders with opportunities to study and work in Alberta
Since 2010, the network of Alberta accredited international schools has grown significantly. AAIS monitors and accredits international schools to ensure that quality programming is delivered by Alberta certified teachers to thousands of students abroad.
Benefits of accreditation
Alberta's world-class education system has an excellent reputation and is recognized as one of the best in the English-speaking world. Alberta’s strong programs of study (Early Childhood Services to Grade 12) and curriculum, highly qualified and trained teachers, and high standards contribute to students reaching their full potential.
When students graduate from an Alberta accredited international school, they receive the internationally-recognized Alberta high school diploma. Many of Alberta's high school graduates continue their education at Alberta's outstanding universities and colleges. Others go on to other excellent universities and colleges in the world. More and more international schools recognize the value of an Alberta education.
Why attend an AAIS (PDF, 35 KB)
Becoming an Alberta accredited international school requires leadership, commitment, planning, resources and time.
Alberta Education's application process includes the submission of an expression of interest form (PDF, 75 KB). Alberta Education reviews the expression of interest form to determine the candidate’s potential to meet all AAIS accreditation requirements. If determined eligible, an application form will be provided. Alberta Education must receive the completed application no later than January 1 for the school to be considered for accreditation in the following school year. A non‑refundable application fee must be submitted along with the application form.
For more details, contact [email protected].
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
If you are still having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.
Alberta accredited international schools employ qualified and enthusiastic individuals to join their teams.
Teachers interested in seeking employment in an Alberta accredited international school must meet the Teacher certification requirements and are encouraged to contact the school directly.
Teaching experience towards a permanent professional certification will be considered once the school is in Tier 3 and 4.
Alberta accredited international schools are solely responsible for the recruitment and hiring of teachers and administrators. Teachers and administrators are responsible for due diligence when entering into employment contracts.
Schools move through 4 tiers as they proceed through the accreditation process. The tiered approach allows schools to build capacity and provides a step-by-step process that assures continuous improvement.
For details on the accreditation process and requirements, request a copy of the 'Handbook for the Alberta Accredited International Schools' at [email protected].
Alberta accredited internationals schools
- Canadian International School – Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- The International School of Macao – Macao, China
- Canadian School Guadalajara – Guadalajara, Mexico
- Canadian International School of Guangzhou – Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, China
- Canadian International School of Phnom Penh – Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Christian Alliance International School – Hong Kong, China
- Christian Alliance P.C. Lau Memorial International School – Hong Kong, China
- Colegio Rex Marina Mazatlan – Mazatlan, Mexico
- Kunimoto Alberta International School – Tokyo, Japan
- Maplewood Canadian International School – Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- Mount Saint Agnes Academy – Hamilton, Bermuda
- QiLu Sino-Canadian International School (Qingdao No. 58 High School) – Qingdao, Shandong Province, China
- Qatar Canadian School (Blyth Academy Qatar) – Doha, Qatar
- Sistema Escolar de Queretaro – Queretaro, Mexico
- École Canadienne Internationale de Casablanca – Casablanca, Morocco
Connect with Alberta Education:
8th Floor, 44 Capital Boulevard
10044 108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5E6
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.