Services and information
To be eligible for AISH, you must meet age, residency, financial and medical criteria.
Coverage may include financial and health benefits for you, your spouse or partner and your children.
Follow these steps to apply for AISH financial and health benefits
Find out how to receive your AISH payments and when funds will be deposited.
Report changes to your finances, medical or living situation to make sure you get the benefits you are eligible for.
Information about receiving more or less AISH benefits than you are eligible for.
Common terms used by the AISH program.
Get information about AISH and other support by phone, email or in-person.
- You have a medical condition that substantially limits your ability to earn a living.
- Your medical condition is likely to remain permanent.
- There is no medical treatment, therapy, rehabilitation or training available that will help improve your ability to earn a living.
- You are at least 18 years old and not eligible to receive an Old Age Security pension.
- You live in Alberta and are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- You are not in a correctional facility or some mental health facilities such as Alberta Hospital Edmonton.
- You meet financial eligibility criteria.
What you may get
Depending on your situation, you may get:
- a monthly living allowance – money to pay for your living costs such as food, rent and utilities
- a monthly child benefit – money to assist you with raising your dependent children
- health benefits – assistance to cover health needs for you, your spouse or partner and your dependent children
- personal benefits – money over and above your monthly living allowance for specific needs such as a special diet or assistance in an emergency
- AISH reviews applications in the order they are received.
- Applicants who are receiving end-of-life palliative care and/or have been diagnosed with a terminal illness are prioritized.
- Application processing times vary depending on the number of applications AISH receives from Albertans and how quickly we get all the financial and medical information we need for each person’s application.