How to apply for AISH
Follow these steps to apply for AISH financial and health benefits
Step 1: Refer to the guides
- Follow the step-by-step instructions in the Your Guide to Completing the AISH Application if you are applying for AISH.
- Use the Physicians' Guide to Completing the AISH Application if you are a medical professional filling out the AISH Application Part B – Medical Report for an applicant.
- Read the Your Guide to AISH to learn more about the benefits, eligibility criteria, and more.
PDF forms do not work on mobile devices. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Step 2: Fill out the AISH Application Part A
- Download: open the Part A - Applicant Information (PDF, 524 KB) form in Adobe Reader, save it, fill it out and print it.
- Paper copy: print the Part A - Applicant Information (PDF, 198 KB) form and fill it in by hand, or contact an AISH office or Alberta Supports to get one.
Step 3: Have your doctor fill out Part B
- Download: open the AISH Application Part B – Medical Report (PDF, 332 KB) form in Adobe Reader, save it, fill it out and print it.
- Paper copy: print the Part B – Medical Report (PDF, 164 KB) form and fill it in by hand, or contact an AISH office or Alberta Supports to get one.
- Your doctor may charge you for this service.
- You are responsible for paying the fee to the doctor to complete the medical report.
- If you are on Income Support, the cost to fill in these reports may be covered – contact your Income Support worker.
- If you are not on Income Support, but need financial help – find out how to apply for other benefits, while waiting for AISH.
- Decide if your doctor will submit the completed Part B – Medical Report online or mail it to an AISH office, or if you will submit it when you apply.
Step 4: Apply
- Gather your form and all other documents that are needed for your complete AISH Application.
- Make copies for your files.
- Bring, mail or fax your completed AISH Application to your nearest AISH office or submit your application documents online.
Step 5: After you apply
- If you have not provided all the personal, financial or medical information we need to make a decision, we will ask you for more information.
- If your application is approved:
- you will get a letter saying you are eligible for AISH
- your benefits will be backdated to the month AISH received all the information that is needed to approve your application
- you will be contacted by phone or mail to schedule a meeting with an AISH worker
- If your application is not approved you will get a letter explaining:
- why you are not eligible for AISH – this may be due to financial, medical or other reasons
- how to give AISH more information showing a change in your situation
- how to contact AISH if you have questions
- how to appeal the decision
- where to find out about other financial and health benefit programs that may help you
- To find out about your application or what you can do if you are not approved for AISH, contact the nearest AISH office.
Applying for other benefits while waiting
- You may apply for other benefits and services, such as Income Support and health benefits, while you are waiting for the AISH program’s decision.
- Contact Alberta Supports at 1-877-644-9992 or 780-644-9992 within Edmonton or visit the nearest Alberta Supports Centre or Alberta Works Centre.
Reopening your AISH file
- If you leave AISH, you may have your AISH file reopened quickly if:
- it has been less than 2 years since you got your last AISH benefits
- you did not leave AISH due to a change in your medical condition
- Contact AISH if these criteria apply to you.
- If these criteria do not apply, you will need to reapply.
Get information about AISH and other supports.