Download the WeatherCAN App.
The WeatherCAN app from Environment and Climate Change Canada provides current weather conditions and forecasts for over 10,000 locations in Canada. Receive push notifications on weather alerts issued by Environment and Climate Change Canada, including special air quality statements, for your location and saved locations anywhere in Canada.
Custom AQHI notifications can be set in-app to be notified of AQHI information in accordance to user-defined AQHI thresholds.
Smoke events as a result of wildfires are a common occurrence in the summertime, but can also occur in the spring and fall. Smoke during these events can be very thick, and persist for several days. The following fact sheet contains general information about wildfire smoke events in Alberta.
The current status of Alberta wildfires can be found at:
Wildfire smoke forecasts are available from FireSmoke Canada which shows the predicted movement and concentrations of smoke over the next three days.
Health Canada Wildfire Smoke fact sheets:
- Wildfire smoke 101: Wildfire smoke and your health
- Wildfire smoke 101: Using a portable air cleaner to filter wildfire smoke
- Wildfire smoke 101: How to prepare for wildfire smoke
- Wildfire smoke 101: Combined wildfire smoke and heat
Fact sheet and poster
The AQHI learning stations booklet is developed by Environment Canada. Educators can choose from six 30-minute learning centres for their grade 5 or 6 students, building skills in literacy, communication, reflection and problem-solving.
Developed directly from provincial and territorial curriculum documents, topics include:
- Environmental health issues
- How media, peers and family affect decisions
- Outdoor safety
- Ways to prepare for and predict various weather and/or air quality conditions
Available in English and French.
Health Canada’s Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) Resource Kit is available upon request. This kit is useful for teachers, health practitioners and others that want to teach people the usefulness of AQHI. The resource kit includes a colourful folder containing:
- small poster
- flip-top brochure
- slide rule
- tear sheets
Available in English and French. Printed version only.
School curriculum and activities for teachers grade 1 to 12
The resources provided on the Open Government Portal are as follows:
- AQHI Curriculum Links and Activities Information Sheet
- Primer for Teachers and Educators in Alberta
- Letter to Parents and Caregivers
- AQHI Fortune Teller Game
- AQHI Introductory Activity: Fact or Fiction?
- AQHI Jeopardy Game – Instructions: READ THIS FIRST
- AQHI Jeopardy Game – Adult Edition PowerPoint
- AQHI Jeopardy Game – Student Edition PowerPoint (16-square)
- AQHI Jeopardy Game – Student Edition PowerPoint (25-square)
- AQHI PowerPoint Presentation - "We Affect Air Quality. Air Quality Affects Us." - Supplementary for Grade 5 Weather Curriculum.
- We affect air quality, Air quality affects us – Worksheet
- AQHI Straw Asthma Experiment
- Clean Foundation’s ‘Eddie and the Air Out There’ game and teacher resources.
Other educational resources
Some pre-printed promotional items including AQHI magnets, pencils, and tri-fold brochures are available upon request. For more information, contact:
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.