Services and information
- Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan eligibility
Find out if you or your dependants are eligible to apply for AHCIP coverage and what to do if your coverage is denied or cancelled.
- How to apply for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan coverage
Learn how to apply for AHCIP coverage and the information you need to provide either in person or by mail.
- Where to apply for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan
Find an authorized registry agent where you can apply for or update your AHCIP health care card information.
- Apply for health care coverage if you move to Alberta
Learn about when you should apply for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP), processing times, and residency requirements.
- Health care coverage for temporary residents
If you are from outside Alberta or Canada, find out if you are eligible for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage.
- Health care coverage for Syrian refugees
Syrian refugees coming to Alberta are supported with the health services they need in their communities.
To be covered for insured health services in Alberta, you must be registered with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP).
You need to apply for coverage. Once your AHCIP application is received, it is reviewed to see if you are eligible.
- Coverage begins once your application has been approved and you are registered.
- Your personal health care card is mailed to you.
Any insured health services you receive and pay for before your application is processed may be reimbursed once you have your personal health care card. You will have to show eligibility for the period when you received the services.
There are no premiums or payments to be registered with the AHCIP.
Opt out of AHCIP
Residents who choose not to be covered under the AHCIP must formally “opt out” of the plan. All dependants of an opted out registrant are also opted out.
If you opt out:
- You, or your secondary insurer (if applicable), will have to pay for all medical and hospital costs incurred by you or your dependants.
- You will not be eligible for government-sponsored supplementary benefits such as Alberta Blue Cross Non-group Coverage.
- You can change your mind and register for coverage under AHCIP.
Connect with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan office.