Bill 206: Child, Youth and Family Enhancement (Adoption Advertising) Amendment Act (PDF, 437 KB) received Royal Assent on December 15, 2017. The Bill amends section 85(2) of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act (CYFEA) to allow “the publication of an advertisement by a licensed adoption agency publicizing the profiles of prospective adoptive parents that meets the requirements prescribed in the regulations.”
To reflect this change and support implementation, regulatory amendments were developed for the Adoption Regulation. These amendments were established through a Ministerial Order on November 25, 2020 and provide direction to licensed adoption agencies regarding the publication of approved family profiles, profile management, reporting requirements, as well as the authority to charge for any additional expenses incurred in relation to advertising profiles.
Bill 48 – Red Tape Reduction Act, 2020 (No. 2) received royal assent on Wednesday, December 9, 2020. Amendments to legislation will improve access to adoption information for adult adoptees, birth parents and siblings. These changes will also simplify and standardize adoption processes to align with current practice and clarify adoption terminology.
Read more about the Red Tape Reduction Omnibus Bill
Adoption is a provincially regulated program. Alberta's Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act indicates that in order for an applicant to be eligible to apply for adoption in Alberta, they must be a resident of Alberta at the time of application, approval and placement.
If you do not live in Alberta, please contact the adoption authorities in the province or territory in which you currently reside to inquire about local adoption resources available to you.
Types of adoption
In Alberta, there are 3 types of adoption. Select the type below to obtain more information:
- Adoption of an Alberta Child in Care – You may access the Profile Look-up or the Wednesday’s Child to view profiles of some of the children who are available for adoption through Alberta Children’s Services
- Learn more about processes and timelines for International adoption (PDF, 45 KB).
- Private adoption – Spousal/Step-Parent, Relative, Private Direct, Licensed Agency
- Learn more about processes and timelines for Private adoption (PDF, 43 KB).
- International adoption – Adoption of children from outside Canada
- Learn more about processes and timelines for Adopting a child in government care (PDF, 42 KB).
Other related programs
Private Guardianship – for children who have permanent status with Alberta Children’s Services
Foster Care – temporary caregiver for child in care
Adult Adoption – adoption of a person in Alberta 18 years of age or older
Post Adoption Registry – information about adoptions that have been granted in Alberta
Foster care records – historical Information for persons who were in the care of Alberta Children’s Services as a child