Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
To be eligible for this stream, candidates must meet the following criterion at the time their application is mailed to the AAIP and at the time of assessment by the AAIP. Meeting these criteria does not guarantee a nomination or permanent residence.
Farm management skills
Candidates must prove that they have farm management skills.
Proof of this may include, but is not limited to:
- financial documentation of an existing farm business
- documentation of education, training and work experience
- a proposed business plan for the farming enterprise you are considering in Alberta
- proof that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance your proposed farming business
Sufficient financial resources
Candidates must be able to invest a minimum of CDN $500,000 of equity in a primary production farming business in Alberta.
Documents must be provided that show a minimum net worth of CDN $500,000, or confirmation of the ability to access a similar amount of funds from other sources.
Candidates may be required to show the ability to invest more than the minimum.
Primary production investment
Candidates must document their investment plans in a proposed business plan and submit this with their application to the AAIP. The proposed business plan will be reviewed by Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation to ensure the farming operation aligns with Alberta farming industry requirements.
Applications representing the best opportunity for growth relevant to Alberta's agri-food targets will be given priority.
You are not eligible to apply under the AAIP Farm Stream if you:
- have an active nomination that has not expired and/or is eligible for extension under another AAIP stream. Candidates are only eligible for one AAIP Nomination Certificate.
- have been issued a letter on a previous AAIP application that stated you are not eligible to re-apply to the AAIP for a specified period of time. If you apply during the specified period, it will be declined.
- have had a removal order issued against you by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or Canada Border Services Agency. The AAIP does not intervene in the federal refugee claim, appeal or removal process.
- are a foreign national living or working in Canada with no valid temporary resident status.
- are a live-in caregivers currently living in Canada
- are working and residing as a temporary foreign worker in a province other than Alberta
- are an international student studying in Canada, including students doing co-op work placements or internships as part of their study program
Connect with the program if you have questions:
Email: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.