The Women in STEM Scholarship application intake for 2022-23 is now closed.
The Women in STEM Scholarship supports women and gender-diverse individuals pursuing careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields where their gender is underrepresented or who are working to advance gender equality in their chosen field.
- $125,000 is available for this scholarship
- 50 women will receive $2,500 each for their studies
- Applicants identify as a woman or gender-diverse individual studying in STEM.
- Be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible).
- Be a resident of Alberta. To be considered, one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for 6 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies
- the student’s spouse or partner has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for 6 consecutive months prior to the person attending post-secondary
- Be a registered (full or part-time) student in an approved Alberta post-secondary institution, including Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training's Apprenticeship Education Programs.
- Indigenous women, racialized women and women living with a disability are strongly encouraged to apply.
- There is no age limit.
- High school students or below are not eligible to apply.
- To ensure as many applicants as possible can benefit, recipients of the Alberta Women’s Science Network (AWSN) Women in STEM scholarship will not be considered for the Women in STEM Scholarship.
- While applicants are permitted to apply to both the Women in STEM and the Persons Case scholarships, they cannot be awarded both scholarships during the same calendar year.
- Previous recipients of the Women in STEM Scholarship will not be considered for this intake.
How to apply
Important: We only accept applications through Grant Administration Tracking and Evaluation (GATE) online application system.
- To apply for a scholarship through GATE, you require a username and password to access the system.
- Request a GATE username and password before 11:59 pm on Friday, December 9, 2022 (see below).
- Submit your application through GATE before 11:59 pm on Monday, December 19, 2022.
- Give the system time to process your application so that we receive notification of your submission before the deadline passes.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Step 1. GATE user registration
First-time applicants will require a GATE username and password.
To request your GATE registration, email us at [email protected] before 11:59 pm on Friday, December 9, 2022.
In the email, Include:
- your legal name
- the scholarships you are applying for
- your email address
Your GATE username and password will be sent to the email address provided.
Step 2. Complete the application
Once you have received your username and password, log in and complete your application.
Connect with Alberta Culture:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Email: [email protected]
9th Floor, 10405 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4R7
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.