COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
The intake for 2021-22 Women in STEM Scholarship is now open.
Application deadline: December 31, 2021
The Women in STEM Scholarship supports women pursuing careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) and working to advance gender equality in their chosen field.
- $125,000 is available for this scholarship.
- 50 women will receive $2,500 each for their studies.
The Women in STEM Scholarship is an annual program and applicants can apply once during each intake. Applicants must meet the below criteria to be considered eligible.
- Applicants identify as a woman studying in STEM.
- Be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible).
- Be a resident of Alberta; to be considered, one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies;
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for 6 consecutive months immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies; or
- the student’s spouse or partner has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for 6 consecutive months prior to the person attending post-secondary.
- Be a registered (full or part-time) student in an approved Alberta post-secondary institution.
- Indigenous women, racialized women and women living with a disability are strongly encouraged to apply.
- There is no age limit.
- High school students or below are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- To ensure that most applicants in STEM can benefit, successful applicants of the Alberta Women’s Science Network (AWSN) Women in STEM scholarship will not be considered for the Government of Alberta Women in STEM Scholarship.
How to apply
- Fill out the application form – including your written submission.
- Add two reference letters that speak to your academic potential and contributions (volunteering, leaderships, mentoring) to equality in your chosen field.
- Add proof of enrollment or active student status from your institution of study.
- Admission letter is not sufficient.
- The application form, reference letters and proof of enrollment must be submitted together in one email.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications can be emailed (preferred) or mailed.
Connect with Alberta Culture and Status of Women:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Email: [email protected]
Alberta Culture and Status of Women
9th Floor, 10405 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4R7
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.