Anyone (person, agency or institution) whose work involves wildlife research or collection in Alberta needs a Wildlife Research Permit and Collection Licence.

Research includes a variety of activities. See the Permit and Collection Licence Frequently Asked Questions document below for examples of activities that require a Wildlife Research Permit and Collection Licence.

Submit your application at least 30 days in advance of the proposed start date for the research or collection activity.

  • Starting in 2017, Wildlife Research Permits and Collection Licences are now issued on a calendar year basis; permits / licences expire on December 31 and cannot be renewed until January 1 of the following year. If you are doing work in early January, contact us to discuss options.

    Or contact the regional permit issuer directly; using the listing provided at:

  • For multi-year projects, a permit renewal is required if the project is to continue in the following year.
  • To ensure timely review and approval, the permit renewal application should be submitted by November 30 of the year following permit issue; for example, a permit issued in 2017 will need to be renewed before the end of 2018.

If you wish to conduct wildlife research in one of Alberta's provincial parks, in addition to obtaining a Wildlife Research Permit and Collection Licence, you must also obtain a Research and Collection Permit from the Alberta Parks Division.

The Parks permit can be obtained at the same time as your Wildlife permit and licence through the Online Permitting and Clearance (OPaC) system. Alberta Parks has more information on Parks Research and Collection Permits:

Getting a Wildlife Research Permit and Collection Licence

Step One: Get Started! Read the Background Information

  1. Read the FAQs for general information that will help you get started.
  2. Read the Wildlife Research Permit and Collection Licence Process for more in-depth information on the process.
    Both documents can found on the Open Government Portal at:

Step Two: Submit the Application

AEP Operations Regions Map – February 2014

NOTE: An online application process was introduced in June 2017. As of September 30, 2017, we will no longer accept applications that use the old Word forms.

Please be sure to refer to the map that is included in the online application (see image at right) to assist you with identifying in which region(s) your work will occur.

For multi-region projects, you will be required to identify the region in which the majority of work will occur; permit/licence issuance will be coordinated by the identified region.

  1. Access the Online Permitting and Clearance (OPaC) system

    Read the User Guide to learn how to set up your personalized profile and fill out an application

  2. Complete the required fields in the application
  3. Upload your detailed proposal and submit the application. Those submitting a Falconry Collection Licence Application must use this form:

    Email the completed Falconry Collection Licence Application to Dr. Gord Court at:

Step Three: Follow the Class Protocols

Research on some species must be done according to specific protocols. The class protocols currently in place are below. In your application, you will be asked to identify which class protocol(s) apply to your project or to explain why no class protocols apply.

Step Four: Submit your data and the completion report when you are done your research

  1. Complete the progress report in OPaC:

    Visit the Alberta Parks website and read the User Guide to learn how to complete the progress report

  2. As part of your report, within OPaC, submit the results of your wildlife research/collection for entry into FWMIS (Fisheries and Wildlife Management Information System). Download the appropriate loadform from this page:
  3. Upload the completed FWMIS loadform to OPaC as an attachment to your progress report
  4. If you need to submit bird banding data to the Wildlife Management Branch, you can either use the FWMIS loadform (following steps A and B above) OR you can prepare data submission files using Bandit OR Band Manager. Find out how to submit the data using Bandit or Band Manager:

Step Five: Renew your Wildlife Research Permit and Collection