Where can I study
International students entering Alberta during COVID-19 pandemic
Alberta’s primary and secondary schools are approved to reopen to international students.
Alberta school authorities that plan to welcome international students during the COVID-19 pandemic must meet specific COVID-19 requirements to confirm their readiness.
Several school authorities have already met the requirements - the list is below.
Alberta school authority regions
Alberta's schools offer Alberta's core academic curriculum, as well as optional programs and courses that may vary from one school authority to another.
Approved Alberta school authorities that offer programming and supports for international students during the international pandemic
- Alberta Ballet School
- Banbury Crossroads School
- Calgary Board of Education
- Calgary Catholic School District
- Edge School for Athletes Society
- Battle River School Division
- Parkland School Division
- Red Deer Catholic Schools
- Red Deer Public Schools
- Wolf Creek School Division
- Golden Hills School Division
- Horizon School Division
- Lethbridge School District
- Livingstone Range School Division
- Medicine Hat School District
- Medicine Hat Catholic Board of Education
- Palliser Regional Schools
Where can I live
You can stay with:
- family, friends or relatives (who are adults holding a legal status within Canada)
- live with a homestay family
- in dormitories - there are a limited number of these
Homestay families provide international students with a private room and 3 meals a day... But they are so much more! They are a home away from home for the student and communicate regularly with the student's parents and teachers.
Homestays are arranged through the school authorities. Most school authorities have a homestay coordinator to help find a responsible, enthusiastic and qualified homestay family. Homestay families are carefully selected and their homes are inspected to ensure a good fit for the student.
Fees for arranging homestay placements range from $250 to $850 Canadian dollars. Monthly cost for a homestay is approximately $800 Canadian dollars per month.
A few Alberta schools are equipped with dormitory facilities where international students may live while they study. Students in dormitories are usually cared for by a resident supervisor. To determine whether or not dormitory accommodation is available, please contact the local school district.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.