- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 40+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
Where can I study
Alberta school authority regions
Alberta's schools offer Alberta's core academic curriculum, as well as optional programs and courses that may vary from one school authority to another. You can apply directly to the school authority of your choice.
There are approximately 25 school authorities that offer an international student program. This means that they provide all the support required for international students to succeed in Alberta schools, including homestay and English as a Second Language (ESL) support.
Alberta school authorities that offer programming and supports for international students
- Red Deer Catholic Schools
- Red Deer Public Schools
- Chinook's Edge School Division
- Northern Lights School Division
- Battle River School Division
- Buffalo Trails Public Schools
- Foothills School Division
- Golden Hills School Division
- Holy Spirit Roman Catholic Separate Regional Division
- Horizon School Division
- Lethbridge School District
- Livingstone Range School Division
- Medicine Hat School District
- Medicine Hat Catholic Board of Education
- Palliser Regional Schools
- Prairie Rose School Division
Where can I live
You can stay with:
- family, friends or relatives (who are adults holding a legal status within Canada)
- live with a homestay family
- in dormitories - there are a limited number of these
Homestay families provide international students with a private room and 3 meals a day... But they are so much more! They are a home away from home for the student and communicate regularly with the student's parents and teachers.
Homestays are arranged through the school authorities. Most school authorities have a homestay coordinator to help find a responsible, enthusiastic and qualified homestay family. Homestay families are carefully selected and their homes are inspected to ensure a good fit for the student.
Fees for arranging homestay placements range from $250 to $850 Canadian dollars. Monthly cost for a homestay is approximately $800 Canadian dollars per month.
A few Alberta schools are equipped with dormitory facilities where international students may live while they study. Students in dormitories are usually cared for by a resident supervisor. To determine whether or not dormitory accommodation is available, please contact the local school district.