Part of Water

Water Pumping Program

Provides assistance to producers in securing adequate water supplies for domestic, livestock or agricultural purposes.


A producer or group of producers can rent pipe and pumping equipment from the department to fill dugouts from nearby water sources. Equipment and pipe are delivered from dispatch locations across the province to the pumping site. Rental rates are for April 1 to October 31 and include one day of setup, one day of pumping and one day to dismantle the equipment.

Table 1. Water pumping program rental costs

Note: GST will be added to total rental cost.
A minimum 100-horsepower tractor is required to run the pumps.
Type of equipmentRental rate
PTO driven pump (6 inch)$200
Trailer (up to 1 mile of 6 inch pipe)$300
Extra pump$100
Extra trailer$150

How to apply

There are 2 ways to apply:

  1. Fill out the Equipment Rental Application and Contract and email it to [email protected].
  2. Provide the following information by phone and sign the Equipment Rental Application and Contract at the time of equipment delivery:
    • Name
    • Phone number
    • Address
    • Legal land location of where pumping from and to
    • Municipal District/County
    • Type of water source pumping from
    • Distance to be pumped
    • Estimated lift
    • Date equipment wanted
    • Days required

To apply over the phone, call 780-422-5000 (toll free in Alberta by dialing 310-0000 first).

The Water Pumping Program Equipment Rental Application and Contract contains the legal Terms and Conditions.

After you apply

A coordinator or driver for your area will contact you to coordinate equipment delivery arrangements shortly before your equipment request date.

After delivery arrangements and equipment requirements are confirmed, payment can be made at the time of delivery by check to the Government of Alberta or by credit card prior to delivery at

For consideration

A licence or temporary diversion licence(s) is usually required to pump water from rivers, streams, lakes and wetlands/sloughs. Equipment cannot be delivered until the appropriate licence, if required, is in place. More information can be found in the Temporary Water Diversions fact sheet.

Applicants who require a temporary diversion licence will need to apply through Alberta Environment and Protected Areas Digital Regulatory Assurance System.

Additional support during drought conditions

Temporary Livestock Water Assistance Program

Livestock and poultry producers impacted by water shortage and drought conditions can receive streamlined temporary livestock assistance through Alberta Environment and Protected Areas.

Information about the Temporary Livestock Water Assistance Program can be found online or by contacting an Environment and Protected Areas District Office:

Agriculture and Irrigation Technical Support

Agricultural Water Specialists can be contacted if you require recommendations on constructing or maintaining a safe, secure water supply. Call 310-FARM (3276) and ask to speak to a Water Specialist.


Connect with Water Pumping Program staff:

Phone: 780-422-5000
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]