Go to Driver’s road test for information on how COVID-19 affects this service.
Vehicle registrations expire on an assigned month based on your surname. You can look up your expiry date on the registration expiry date chart. Or, check your registration certificate. As of January 1, 2021, expiry stickers are no longer required on licence plates.
There are 3 options to renew your registration.
The online site can only be used if you are renewing your registration without changes. If you require any changes to your registration, for example a name or address change, you must apply for the renewal in person at a registry agent office.
If you have any outstanding fines, you will not be able to renew your registration online. If you choose to pay your fines online first, you must wait a couple days for the payment to process before you can renew online.
If you are less than 10 business days away from your expiry date on your registration, renew your registration in person.
To renew online, you will need:
- your vehicle registration certificate
- the insurance details from your pink card
- a credit card (VISA, MasterCard or American Express)
- a current web browser (Internet Explorer 6 or higher, Firefox, Chrome or Safari)
Renew by mail
To renew your passenger vehicle and motorcycle registration by mail, complete one of the mail-in renewal applications below. If you have any outstanding fines, changes to your registration (for example your name or address), you must apply for the renewal in person at a registry agent office.
You should only use the mail-in renewal option if your registration expires in 30 days or more to allow time for mailing. If your registration will expire in less than 30 days from the expiry on your registration, renew your registration in person or online.
To renew by mail, you will need to:
- Complete one of the mail-in renewal forms below, including the insurance declaration and signatures from all registrants, provide payment (cheque or money order)
The vehicle registration renewal fees are outlined in the Registry Agent Product Catalogue.
Renew in person
To renew your vehicle registration in person, visit any authorized Alberta Registry Agent.
To renew in person, you will need:
- your driver’s licence
- valid proof of insurance (‘pink card’)
- current vehicle registration certificate (optional)