Alberta offers a general Vehicle Information Report (VIR) that can be requested by anyone to get non-protected information about any vehicle registered in Alberta. These reports only cover Alberta information and don’t include any information from other places where the vehicle may have been registered.
The VIR shows the following information:
- the vehicle’s description, such as year, make, model, style, colour and fuel type
- the vehicle’s status, such as active, rebuilt, salvage etc.
- odometer reading (if one was provided)
- registration dates and locations
- the number of liens registered in Alberta against the vehicle, if any
- if you would like detailed information on the liens, you may purchase a search of the Personal Property Registry from the registry agent
The back of the VIR explains each section of the report.
Request a report
You can request the VIR online or through a registry agent. You will need the vehicle identification number, or VIN, for the vehicle you want to search.
A MyAlberta Digital ID is required for online orders.
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.