Alberta offers a general Vehicle Information Report (VIR) that can be requested by anyone to get non-protected information about any vehicle registered in Alberta. These reports only cover Alberta information and don’t include any information from other places where the vehicle may have been registered.
You request the VIR by providing a registry with the vehicle identification number, or VIN, for the vehicle you want to search.
The VIR shows the following information:
- the vehicle’s description, such as year, make, model, style, colour and fuel type
- the vehicle’s status, such as active, rebuilt, salvage etc.
- odometer reading (if one was provided)
- registration dates and locations
- the number of liens registered in Alberta against the vehicle, if any
- if you would like detailed information on the liens, you may purchase a search of the Personal Property Registry from the registry agent
The back of the VIR explains each section of the report.
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)