- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Many Albertans 16+ are now eligible to get vaccinated. Book your shot.
In Alberta there are 3 main types of unconventional resources:
- Tight gas and oil: natural gas and oil found in sandstone, siltstones and carbonates
- Shale gas and oil: natural gas and oil locked in fine-grained, organic rich rock
- Coalbed methane (CBM): natural gas contained in coal
Revenue from non-renewable resources accounts for almost a third of the Government of Alberta's budget and is the largest contributor to the province's Gross Domestic Product (GDP), exports, and capital investments. An estimated one in 12 people in Alberta are employed in the upstream energy industry.
Find out about the potential and development of unconventional resources.