COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
You have 2 options when you get another vehicle:
- transfer the licence plate and registration from another vehicle, if the existing registration is in your name, or
- request a new licence plate and registration
Existing licence plates
You can use your existing licence plate and vehicle registration on another vehicle for up to 14 days. You must also carry your proof of ownership document and insurance until you transfer the registration and licence plate.
The 14-day period allowed for the transfer of licence plate/registration doesn’t apply to commercial vehicles and insurance documents.
Check with your insurance company or broker for insurance requirements and coverage information.
How to transfer a registration
To get a transfer, go to a registry agent and bring:
- acceptable identification
- proof of ownership of the new vehicle
- proof of valid insurance “pink card”
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.