- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Many Albertans 16+ are now eligible to get vaccinated. Book your shot.
Before starting an apprenticeship program in Alberta, you can apply for a prior learning assessment that will evaluate your previous:
- work experience
Results may be used for advanced standing in your apprenticeship program.
Your transfer opportunities depend on where you started your apprenticeship training and the amount of experience you gained along the way.
If you have already earned a trade credential somewhere other than Alberta, your credential will be assessed according to Alberta standards. Read about recognized trade certificates and credentials in Alberta.
Work experience from another province or country
If you're an apprentice in another province, learn how to transfer apprenticeship training you earn between provinces through the Apprentice Mobility Protocol.
If you worked in a trade in another province or country, check to see if your trade is designated in Alberta. If your trade is designated, you will need to:
- find an employer willing to take you on as an apprentice
- register as an apprentice through MyTradesecrets
- ask your employer if they will recognize your previous work experience as part of your Alberta apprenticeship program
To connect with Apprenticeship and Industry Training: