COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
As of November 1, 2020, the Temporary Foreign Workers program has changed until further notice.
Alberta has reached an agreement with the Government of Canada that limits the number and types of jobs that employers are able to fill by hiring temporary foreign workers. This will make jobs available to unemployed Albertans.
These changes impact occupations in sectors such as accommodation and food services, retail trade, transportation, construction, and professional, scientific and technical services. A small number of specialized occupations experiencing acute and proven labour shortages in the agriculture, technology and caregiving sectors are exempt.
Alberta will monitor and adjust the province’s refusal to process list quarterly.
All pending Labour Market Impact Assessment applications, including those submitted before November 1, are subject to these changes.
Temporary Foreign Workers Advisory Office
Alberta’s Temporary Foreign Workers (TFW) Advisory Office helps temporary foreign workers, international students (with work authorization) and employers understand their rights and find solutions to situations involving unfair, unsafe or unhealthy working conditions.
Services provided by the office include:
- responding to complaints, questions and requests for information
- assessing reports of abuse and making referrals to the correct authority
- this includes helping temporary foreign workers who are experiencing abuse to complete applications for open work permits such as the Vulnerable Worker Open Work Permit
- working with agencies to ensure safe, fair and healthy workplaces
- helping temporary foreign workers find resources
- outreach services across Alberta, including
- facilitating information sessions for temporary foreign workers, international students (with work authorization), employers and other stakeholders
- arranging in-person appointments with clients
- helping clients understand their rights and responsibilities while working and living in Alberta
All services are free and confidential.
Online information sessions
The TFW Advisory Office also offers online information sessions for temporary foreign workers, international students and employers.
Participants have the opportunity to learn about office services, available resources, their rights and responsibilities and ask questions to an advisor.
Email: [email protected]
Temporary Foreign Worker Helpline
You can contact the Temporary Foreign Worker Helpline toll-free throughout most of the world at 1-877-944-9955, with the following exceptions:
- China (North): 108007141500
- Chine (South): 108001401372
- Mexico: 0018005145713
- Philippines: 18001110151
- Thailand: 0018001562045713
For information, support and referrals, see Resources for Temporary Foreign Workers.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.