Resources for Temporary Foreign Workers

Find information and resources to help Temporary Foreign Workers adapt to working in Alberta.

Explore pages in:

Your rights and responsibilities

It is important for temporary foreign workers to be aware of their employment rights and responsibilities. The following easy reading guide can help you understand employment standards and your pay statement.

The following resources can help you learn about employment standards rules in Alberta:

The following fact sheet has information on your rights and responsibilities as a worker in Alberta, and the support you can access from Alberta's Temporary Foreign Worker Advisory Office.

It is important for temporary foreign workers to be aware of their human rights in Alberta.


These resources can help you learn how to stay safe at work.

Employment agencies

Employment agencies can help:

  • people look for work in Alberta
  • employers recruit employees in Alberta

Licence requirements

Employment agencies must have a licence issued by Service Alberta and Red Tape Reduction to exist in Alberta or recruit for an employer located in Alberta.

This is the law even if the agency recruits people outside of Alberta.

Find out if an employment agency is licensed.


Employment agencies cannot:

  • demand or collect a fee from a Temporary Foreign Worker for recruiting services or for helping them find a job
  • demand or hold a bond or deposit from an individual
    • It is against the law to collect any fee from a person even if the agency may pay it back later.
  • tell an employer that the employer can recover costs of the agency’s services from the employee
    • This includes deducting from the employee’s salary or demanding cash from the employee.
  • make an individual pay for other services as a condition to help the person find work
    • This includes immigration services.

Learn more about employment agencies.

Temporary Foreign Workers can file a complaint with government if they believe an immigration consultant or employment agency has:

  • deceived or misled them
  • charged prohibited fees
  • otherwise broke the rules described in the legislation

English as a Second Language (ESL)

ESL drop-in centres

Visit an ESL drop-in Centre to help you in your transition.


The Immigrant Education Service


Cultural Connection Institute


Edson and District Community Learning Society


Taber & District Adult Learning Association


For temporary foreign workers interested in gaining permanent residency in the province, the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) can help make the immigration process go faster.


Phone: You can contact the Temporary Foreign Worker Advisory Office toll-free throughout most of the world at 1-877-944-9955, with the following exception:

Email: [email protected]

Office hours: 8:15 am – 4:30 pm (Monday to Friday)
Closed weekends and general holidays