Service providers are required to hold a licence under the Mental Health Services Protection Act.


Supervised consumption service providers must meet core requirements and be licensed under the Mental Health Services Protection Act and the Mental Health Services Protection Regulation. The regulation is supported by a Recovery-oriented Overdose Prevention Services Guide that sets out mandatory quality standards for supervised consumption service providers.

This regulatory framework provides greater provincial oversight and standardization for supervised consumption services in Alberta, ensuring better community safety, higher quality services and improved integration with the health-care system.

The framework:

  • requires licensing
  • ensures service providers meet quality standards such as policies and procedures for:
    • clinical practice standards
    • referral pathways to detox, treatment and recovery services as well as primary health-care services
    • safety and security
    • employee requirements, qualifications and training
    • client rights and expectations for clients (for example, washroom access)
    • needle distribution
    • needle debris mitigation
    • record creation, maintenance and retention
    • community engagement
    • facilities or other locations where services are offered or provided
    • the collection, use and disclosure of personal information and individually identifying health information
  • gives government authority to address complaints and concerns and to amend, suspend or cancel a service provider's licence.

Complaints or concerns

If you have a concern about possible abuse, contact the Provincial Abuse Line at 1-855-4HELPAB (443-5722).

Contact us if your concern is about:

  • Mental Health Services Protection Act and Regulation requirements not being followed
  • an unlicensed service provider providing supervised consumption services

Complaint resolution

When you contact Compliance and Monitoring:

  • a complaints officer will collect the necessary details to follow up on your concern – have as much of the following information available as possible:
    • name and address (including municipality) of the facility or service provider
    • a brief summary of your concern or complaint and when it occurred
    • names, titles and contact numbers of people you have spoken to about your concern or complaint (for example, the manager, senior manager or board member) and their involvement in trying to resolve it
  • we will assess the risks associated with your complaint, and may conduct an investigation or contact other relevant authorities, or both, as required
  • you will receive a follow up letter with the outcome of your complaint
  • we will make every effort to protect your identity
    • Personal and health information is managed in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Health Information Act.

Apply for a licence

If you plan to start offering or providing supervised consumption services, contact us to begin the licensing process.

If you disagree with a decision made by Compliance and Monitoring regarding a supervised consumption services provider licence, you may be able to appeal it. Appeals are managed by the Appeals Secretariat, a neutral government office that operates separately from Compliance and Monitoring.

Find out how to appeal.

PDF form issues

Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:

  1. Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
  2. Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.

Forms, guides and templates

In addition to acquiring a provincial licence, service providers must also meet Health Canada requirements and maintain an appropriate exemption under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Canada).

Find out more about Health Canada’s application process


Connect with Compliance and Monitoring:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Phone: 780-427-8740 for questions about provider licensing
Phone: 780-422-4703 to speak with a complaints officer about concerns regarding services
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]

Mailing Address:
Alberta Health
Attn: Compliance and Monitoring Branch
P.O. Box 1360, Station Main
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2N3

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.