The Municipal Government Board (MGB) hears subdivision appeals where the land that is the subject of the appeal:
- is within Alberta’s Green Area
- is 'adjacent' to or contains a body of water
- 'adjacent' means contiguous or would be contiguous if not for a railway, road, utility right of way or reserve land
- is adjacent to or contains (either partially or wholly) land identified on the Listing of Historic Resources or public land set aside for use as historic resource
- is within the following distances:
- 1600 metres of a provincial highway
- 450 metres of a hazardous waste management facility
- 450 metres of the working area of an operating landfill
- 300 metres of the disposal area of any landfill
- 300 metres of a wastewater treatment plant
- 300 metres of the working area of a non-hazardous waste storage site
Some of these distances may be varied in writing by a provincial government department.
- Flowchart – Subdivision Appeals in Alberta (PDF, 375 KB)
Forms, fee and rules
- Notice of Appeal Form (PDF, 431 KB)
- Appeal fee: $0
- Subdivision and Development Appeal Procedure Rules
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Bulletins are in the process of being updated to reflect recent changes in the legislation. If you have any questions, please contact the MGB.
Disclaimer: These bulletins provide general guidance only and are not offered as legal or land planning advice. Each appeal is unique. The details in these bulletins may not apply to every case, or to future decisions of the Board. Please contact the MGB office if you have any questions.
- What is a Subdivision Appeal SUB-1-2018
- Where to File a Subdivision Appeal SUB-2-2018
- What to Expect at a Subdivision Appeal Hearing SUB-3-2018
- Subdivision Appeals in the Green Area SUB-4-2018
- Common Acronyms in Subdivision Appeals SUB-5-2018
- Mandatory Electronic Recording of Hearings SUB-6-2018
- Someone Else Appealed my Subdivision SUB-5-2015
- How to prepare for an MGB hearing: Legislative Requirements
Connect with the Municipal Government Board:
Hours: 8:15 am to noon and 1 pm to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]
Municipal Government Board
2nd Floor, Summerside Business Centre
1229 91 Street SW
Edmonton Alberta T6X 1E9