A standard bill of sale is used when buying/selling a vehicle in a private sale.
It contains information about the buyer, seller and vehicle and must be used in order to transfer ownership of the vehicle.
Download: Standard bill of sale (PDF, 109 KB)
What to include
When buying a vehicle from a private seller, a bill of sale must include:
- full name and address of the seller(s) and buyer(s)
- vehicle identification number (VIN)
- make, model/series, style, colour and year of the vehicle
- cost of the vehicle
- signature from both the buyer(s) and seller(s)
It's recommended, though optional, to include the following information:
- odometer reading
- phone numbers of all people involved
- personal identification of all people involved
- signatures of witnesses
- any liens or encumbrances against the vehicle
- if the vehicle was paid for in full or not
- payment method (cash, cheque, money order, etc.)
- payment terms (if any)
- where the vehicle was last registered
- special conditions of the sale
Automotive businesses must use a comprehensive bill of sale that includes specific information about the vehicle and sales agreement.
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints regarding Alberta's automotive industry, please contact:
AMVIC Consumer Services