A standard bill of sale is used when buying/selling a vehicle in a private sale.
It contains information about the buyer, seller and vehicle and must be used in order to transfer ownership of the vehicle.
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Download: Standard bill of sale (PDF, 109 KB)
What to include
When buying a vehicle from a private seller, a bill of sale must include:
- full name and address of the seller(s) and buyer(s)
- vehicle identification number (VIN)
- make, model/series, style, colour and year of the vehicle
- cost of the vehicle
- signature from both the buyer(s) and seller(s)
It's recommended, though optional, to include the following information:
- odometer reading
- phone numbers of all people involved
- personal identification of all people involved
- signatures of witnesses
- any liens or encumbrances against the vehicle
- if the vehicle was paid for in full or not
- payment method (cash, cheque, money order, etc.)
- payment terms (if any)
- where the vehicle was last registered
- special conditions of the sale
Automotive businesses must use a comprehensive bill of sale that includes specific information about the vehicle and sales agreement.
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints regarding Alberta's automotive industry, please contact:
Consumer Contact Centre